Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Notices

Chewing the carpet

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 124 times.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #1
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

laracroft will become famous soon enoughlaracroft will become famous soon enough

Chewing the carpet

Hey all, I could use some advice or just encouragement. Micah can be a little destructo machine, which is usually fine--great, even, it's sort of adorable to see this tiny bird ripping something to shreds and loving it. I keep plenty of toys and things for him, and cover or hide things he takes an interest in that I don't want damaged. But the past few days he's taken to chewing on the carpet. I'd really like to nip that in the bud, but I'm not sure how. I can't cover the whole floor of my living room. I've been doing my best to distract him whenever he starts at it, and I've got an old towel I put down over any spots he takes a particular interest in, but if anyone has other ideas I'd love to hear them. And encouragement would be nice too, I'm feeling pretty frustrated and concerned this is going to become a habit.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Oh man, getting them to stop something that becomes an obsession is really difficult... I can see why you don't want him chewing on the carpet, I imagine that eventually could cause issues like chewing on a fleece where it could cause crop impacting. Not sure what else you can do but maybe just try to get him up off the floor every single time he does it, I am thinking about when melody was obsessed with the sink there was absolutely nothing I could do to keep her away from the sink. We had to watch her very closely, of course we always did with her... But if you looked away even just for a few moments she would go from sitting on the side of the sink sometimes to climb all the way down into it underneath the dirty dishes and be grinding down there it freaked me out every time thinking a dish would shift and she would get smashed. I guess that's maybe not very encouraging LOL I'm sorry, I hope you find something that works or he just gets over it soon. maybe just continual distraction with other things that are good to chew on like tissue paper or paper towel or shake a pill bottle or something anything else that is exciting to play with down there that will keep his attention away from chewing on the carpet.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Another thought, hardwood floors are quite nice LOL Drastic yes but 100% effective

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 02:42 AM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

This is a problem. Bogie and Ricochet always found something they get attached to, like Violets Melody liking the sink. I couldn't leave the dishwasher door down for even a minute while I put dishes in it or take dishes out of it, before Bogie would get inside of the dishwasher. He loved the top rack! I had to be careful!

You will have to be persistent and keep picking him up off of the carpet while saying, " No No, Micah! No no! " Don't give up! Keep trying and when you pick him up, make sure his nails don't get caught in the fibers.

Maybe he will lose interest in doing this, soon.

Dave

David Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Anya

Anya has a spectacular aura aboutAnya has a spectacular aura about

So, Micah is being naughty. They can be such little stinkers. Yeah, you have to stop him from doing this. God only knows what carpets have been treated with nowadays.

Have you tried asking your vet? They may have some suggestions. I am sure they have birds that come in with this problem. You said that you cannot cover the whole area, but if Micah has one spot in particular that he likes, you can use a clear plastic office chair mat. I have a big one that I use for around Cleopatra’s cage for messes. The only other things I can think of are things you mentioned like putting down bed sheets, and blankets. Pieces of cardboard? Your home will not win any decorating awards, but it might discourage him if you leave them there for a while. I just thought of something else - You might try scattering objects on the floor that Micah hates. I have a collection of red straws as my secret weapons to keep Cleopatra away from places I do not want her. It works really well. She hates the color red. Hee hee!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enoughlaracroft will become famous soon enough

Thanks you guys. Violet I would LOVE hardwood floors, you have no idea. Sadly, I'm a renter. Womp womp. Seems like the consensus is to just keep at it distracting him and discouraging it. Anya, your red straws sounds like such a useful tool! Micah doesn't really have anything he hates like that.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:36 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Oh you rent? Well then I guess you'll just have to buy Micah a house Haha

Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

If you find the magic solution, please let us all know! So far I just have distraction and other easy things to chew on. Tumi LOVES to chew tissues and paper towels, so you might see if that is more fun.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote