Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Fatty tumor?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 144 times.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
BeanDip

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

BeanDip will become famous soon enough

Fatty tumor?

I've been trying to find other threads relating to this topic but am in a big hurry and so far am not finding much. I'll search more when I can, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck having a fatty tumor or growth removed or found a way to keep it under control?

My little Pudgie is approximately 8 years old and I'm quickly nearing the point of having to make this incredibly difficult decision that I really don't want to have to make. Too much backstory to tell right now, but the gist is that after countless vet visits with 3 different vets, 5 days in the ICU, close to $3,000 later, we FINALLY have found a "large lumpy growth" in her abdomen that is now displacing her heart. She's been on Lasix for the last 1.5 months, which has been doing wonders for the excess fluid build-up. Previous ultrasounds didn't show anything conclusive because she's so tiny. Her abdomen kept getting bigger but the amount of fluid they could drain kept getting smaller. I requested another ultrasound last week and that's when they found the growth, along with a very small pocket of fluid that's been pushed up to right next to her heart, so the doctor was hesitant to try to draw it out due to the close proximity to the heart.

We know she has a growth, we know it's lumpy, we know it's liver-relatd and seems to coming off of the liver but that's all we know. They've pretty much been telling me that due to her size, there's not much they can do except try to keep her comfortable. I've been trying her on milk thistle but have been struggling to get anything down her... more on that later. Also metacam for the pain and inflammation, and still taking Lasix.

I feel like I would be willing to risk surgery to remove even part of the growth because she's starting to become uncomfortable. I don't think she'll be with me anymore by this time next week, so I feel like at this point we really have nothing to lose. Has anybody had any luck in dealing with anything similar?
BeanDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enoughlaracroft will become famous soon enough

I don't have any experience with this sort of issue, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this. You and your little one are in my thoughts.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

I have no experience with this either, but I wish you and Pudgie the best with these challenging health issues.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Unhappy

I am so sorry to hear about Pudgie. Those fatty tumors can be a huge problem. Two years ago, I had to make that " Decision " with my parrotlet named Bogie, who was ten years old. It about killed me, but it was the best thing to do. I thought that I would never put a pet down so young. I spent a lot of money, but it didn't matter about the money. I wanted to help Bogie get better. He did, for a short while. Very short.

Bogie didn't have a fatty tumor. But it was a growth. This growth was not hereditary. It was a tough lining surrounding his lungs and it wouldn't let him expand his lungs and exchange oxygen properly.

The lining got thicker and Bogie..excuse me, I have to wipe away the tears......I'm back... Anyway, I watched his quality of life just slip away each day. He started to lower his head so he could breathe better. I knew what me and my wife had to do. We called his vet and the next day and went in.

From what I have witnessed with several of the budgies I have had over the years who had cysts, there is not much they can do. Just watch your Pudgie closely. Try to keep away the pain. Parrotlets hide pain very well...too well. You have to balance the quality of life with the pain Pudgie could be in. I think you will know when it is time and what to do.

Warning...do not read on if you are sensitive to read about the last moment of a beloved pet at a vet's office. Not graphic.

With Bogie, my wife and I spent the last few minutes with him at the vets office. The vet had all the lights in the building turned on low and candles were lit throughout the halls. A sign was lit in the waiting room explaining that a pet was being helped one final time and for everyone to please keep quiet. Music played.

It was the most peaceful time in Bogie's life. Perfect respect was given and for the first time in a long time, he was pain free and at peace. He was sedated and he was relieved. Not a peep. No struggle. He was at the Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge.

It was a good decision in the end.

David and Vicki
David Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Wheezy

Wheezy is on a distinguished road

My Sunshine had something similar. Growth of or around the liver. She was a rescue so not sure how old she was. After the meds, milk thistle, etc, ultimately the growth won. She was so sweet. I just decided to make her as comfortable as possible, and loved her till the end. The bills from the vet were the monthly reminder of her loss. It's hard for sure. I wish you peace in whatever decision is made.
Wheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:43 AM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I'm so sorry to hear this, you have done such a wonderful job and really everything you can. I know eight years can still feel short because of how much we love these little guys and sometimes they live twice that long. I lost my Tobie and Melody much too soon. Personally, the surgery is extremely risky for such a little one. There is a very high likelihood you would lose her during the surgery, if it were me I would probably just enjoy as many days as I had left with her.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to read about this fatty liver disease. If surgery is out---I agree with forum members to enjoy while you can. It is a very difficult decision.
Pudgie will be better off going to the Rainbow Bridge.

I had a parakeet that was very special to me. At 10 he had a tumor but grew back very quickly. To my regret, the vet cut the wing, which he did to my regret. He couldn't balance.
My Oliver is 7, and I dread the day, but wouldn't want to see him suffer.

Last edited by lindav; 11-22-2020 at 08:17 AM..
lindav is offline   Reply With Quote