Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

The pumpkin rebellion at darbyway

~~A Special Treat For Halloween~~

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 242 times.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

The pumpkin rebellion at darbyway

THE PUMPKIN REBELLION AT DARBYWAY
This was written in class in 1993 at the University of Central Florida. It took two classes to do this. It was hand written and I typed it into words a little later. I have not changed a word and if I was to re-write this today, it would be much better and it would flow easier.

I hope you enjoy this story. I wrote it from the the top of my head under duress.
Please let me know what you think of it.

David
I had just hung up the phone from talking with Dr. Gourd, a hypnotist. I became more and more nervous since that phone call and broke out in a sweat while many thoughts raced through my mind. Am I doing the right thing? Can I find an answer to my on-going nightmares? I wanted to know. For the last six months, I have experienced dozens of nightmares about . . . well let me say, strange things.

I arrived at the doctor's office and signed in. A few minutes later, the receptionist called my name.

″Jack Lantern?″ the receptionist asked.

″Yes, I'm Jack Lantern,″ was my reply. The nurse gave me a glimpse of a smile. I knew she was thinking about my unusual name.

″The doctor will see you now,″ she said, ″go through these doors.″

I made my way to the hypnotist and was instructed to lie down on the couch and try to relax. I had told the doctor earlier about my nightmares. The doctor tried to relax me by using small, but pleasant talk.

″Nice orange shirt and pants you have on,″ the doctor said.

″Yes. I seem to like orange a lot. I collect pumpkin knick knacks, you know,″ was my reply.

″That's interesting. I collect owls myself,″ he added, ″well, let me explain what I plan to do. I want to hypnotize you and regress you back to the time where I think your problem may have a root. Once I find that root, I can then understand your problem better. Since you have explained the nightmare about you turning into a pumpkin man, I think we can solve the problem.″

I was put into a trance, and the doctor slowly regressed me back in time. He found that the year 1693 was the root of my nightmares. I know it was a strange time in history, with the Salem witch trials going on, but somehow I was involved in that time.

I found myself living in an old house on the outskirts of a town called Darbyway. It was a special time of year. It was just a few days before Halloween, and the local residents already had Jack O'Lanterns out in their courtyards. Yes, the custom of carving out pumpkins made its way from Scotland to colonial America. But why was I here? How could I possibly remember something that happened so long before I was born? I knew the pumpkins were used to keep away evil spirits, but isn't it funny that in 1993, I fancied collecting the strange things. I even liked the color orange. Just about everything I owned was orange. I even had reddish-orange hair!

As I remained in a trance, I could remember with great detail the things that had happened to me. It was as though I was actually there. I remembered hearing the children talk about strange things, and the word witches came up quite often. The children laughed and ran away.

″Witches,″ I said, ″I thought they were all dead!″

As the time drew closer to Halloween, strange and unexplained things started to happen. Pumpkins started to disappear off people's porches, and there were sightings of ghosts throughout the town. The children, as well as older people, started talking about how the witches lived in the caves just outside town. Yeah. I thought they were all crazy. But soon, people wouldn't come out of their houses at night.

I decided to go and see the caves where the so-called witches lived. Upon entering the dark and smelly cave, with my torch glowing brightly, I walked carefully through the opening. Deeper and deeper I went. Then, I stopped and thought I heard something. I heard someone laughing. I looked all around me and all that could be seen was bats' eyes on the ceiling of the cave. A strange odor became evident, and I felt funny. I fell down, and when doing so, I couldn't feel anything. I looked up and a witch was looking down at me! I couldn't move!

The witch smiled and said, ″We have been waiting a long time for you to come and help us. You are under a spell and we will now make you a pumpkin man.″

I wanted to get up and run, but I couldn't. I looked down at my arms and they were orange. My hands, legs, feet, and . . . everything was orange. The biggest and most ungliest witch approached me and laughed.

She stared at me and then remarked, ″In a few minutes, you will be ours to command! You will go and collect all the pumpkins in the town and bring them here!″

Her words pierced my heart. I was powerless against such evil, wicked magic. Complying to her wishes, I brought pumpkins to the cave. I had to put them in a special place because the witches had to conjure up concoctions to sprinkle on the pumpkins. The witches were afraid of the pumpkins evil-looking faces. (The old folk lore of the pumpkins scaring away witches was true!).

I worked hard, and each time I entered the cave, I heard the witches conspiring to take over the town. The witches sent ghosts into town to scare people, because fear made the witches stronger. The witches wanted to rule the town because of the witch trials that had sent many of their sisters to a burning death!

I asked one witch, ″What are you going to do with all the pumpkins?″

She slowly turned towards me and gave me a strange look that made me feel afraid. She blew her nose into her hand then mumbled, ″When we get back from witnessing the burning death of our sister in Salem, we will cast a spell on these pumpkins and these pumpkins will attack the townspeople and beat them into submission!″

I was shocked at her answer and then asked, ″If you are so powerful, why can't you stop the people from burning your sisters?″

The witch became mad and retorted, ″It is fear that makes our spells work. It is fear that keeps us strong. It is the fear of me making you a dead man!″

I shut up. I left the cave for another trip to the town.

On the way to town, I figured out why the witches couldn't save their sisters from the burning death. It was because the people at the trials did not fear the witches. There were only a few pumpkins left in town and I needed to get them.

True as the word of a witch, they all left to go to Salem on the eve of Halloween. This was my chance! With the witches gone, the spell was not as strong, so I went deeper into the cave. I found what I was looking for. It was the witches bible. The book of spells! I started to look through the pages and found a spell that would make the pumpkins immune to any witches spell. I cast the spell on the pumpkins.

From Moses to roses
and chiseled hearts,
No spells put on these
for it will cause sparks.
The sparks will bounce,
to and fro -
And hit your skin
And make it glow!
From that time on,
Your anger will binge!
And on the witches,
You'll get your revenge!!!

I said the spell three times, then waited for the witches to return.

The witches did return and were angrey over the death of a sister. They wasted no time in looking up a spell to cast on the pumpkins. They all agreed on a spell that would last 300 years! The pumpkins would be in control of the town for 300 years, then the spell would wear off, and the witches would come back to life.

They approached the pumpkins and told me to stand next to the pile, I did so. The oldest witch started an incantation, then the others joined in.
With leeches and speeches
and rock hard air.
We command you pumpkins,
to take this dare.
We smite thee once,
with our noble rot,
And call attention
to all orange spots.
Blam. Damn.
A face of a clown,
Rise up. Rise up.
And control the town!

When the witches were through chanting, the pumpkins sparked. Their skin glowed and so did mine; since I was part pumpkin. The pumpkins exploded and there was a terrible vibration throughout the cave. I ran out of the cave. The cave started to collapse and tons of rock fell and sealed the cave shut. My skin stopped glowing and I turned back to normal; except for my orange hair.

″Mr. Lantern. Mr. Lantern! Snap out of it, Mr. Lantern! When I snap my fingers, you will be wide awake and remember everything,″ the doctor said.

″Snap! Snap!″

I awoke.

″What day is it?″ I wanted to know.

The doctor said, ″October 31, 1993.″

″Oh, my God″ The witches come alive tonight! I must go to the cave. I must!″
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

hehe... great story

Happy Halloween everyone

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #3
PeggyK

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK will become famous soon enough

What happens next?
PeggyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
PeggyK

Lol, sorry if that sounded curt! When I read it, it was after midnight by me, I couldn’t sleep and I didn’t want it to be over!
Old 11-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

Must have the next installment!

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Squeaky&Pixie

Squeaky&Pixie is on a distinguished road

I agree - what happens next??

Dave, you cannot do this to us! You’ve had almost 30 years to come up with the sequel, inquiring minds want to know!!
Squeaky&Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
PeggyK

Perhaps Dave ... has turned into a pumpkin!!!!! AGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #8
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation

HE HE HA HA!
I left it hanging because I ran out of time in class. I received an good grade. I got an " A+ " . The professor who graded the paper never gives out an " A " grade, but I got one.

It is actually the worst story I have ever written. No joke. If I was to rewrite it, it would be a lot smoother, for sure.

Please excuse the play on words with the names, etc..

I am part pumpkin! I love pumpkin pie! My wife will make me home made pumpkin pie with whipped cream and nutmeg, etc., and give me the whole pie! I will eat it in 2 days! Heck with my diabetes! I had a witch put a spell on me so I can eat sugar..

You won't believe how much trouble I had finding the copy of this story. It literally was the last box in the corner of a walk in closet, and under two other boxes full of books.

I have to go now.....I have to go to the cave and deal with the witches. They will awaken and, to let you know a secret about what will happen next.....the witches WILL be able to........... ?

Dave
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

...Will be able to - get out of a collapsed, sealed cave, just for starters! Can't wait to see what they and Mr Lantern, and his descendants do.
This is GREAT!
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
David Miller

Thumbs up

Actually, the cave [email protected]#$%^&*(*&^%_)(*&^%$%^&*()+_) and then the witches(*&^%%^&*(*&^#$ and the Boston Congress becomes(*&^$%^&*() and there you have it!

The time continuum plays an important part of this story. There are many ways this story can go........one day, I will finish it. They way I finish it is this: I make up a list of situations and write one paragraph about each situation, then I choose the one situation that makes sense.

I had my wife type in the story for you. I had typed it earlier in the day and when I got to the next to the last page, my lap top flashed and POOF! No story! I had to ask Vicki to type it in for me because I type s l o w .

Thanks for your attention. The movie will be out in August!......Not!

Dave.

Other stories coming up at a later date......

" BUFFET, THE MANATEE

SALLY SPIDER DESIGNER WEBS

ROGER ROOSTER, A SUNDAY DINNER

ELROY, THE SKINNY PIG

THE DUCK WHO COULDN'T QUACK "

ETC......