Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

I need breeding answers

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 166 times.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
jchurchgirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

jchurchgirl is on a distinguished road

I need breeding answers

I started thinking about a retirement plan way too late in life. I'm going to have to supplement my social security. I have just recently started a simple IRA... but, let's face it, at my age (getting ready to turn 50), it's not going to be enough. I'm kind of thinking I might "Hobby Breed" a pair of African Greys, to help with a little bit of extra income, at retirement age. But, I have to start getting the babies NOW, as, I understand, it could take 10 years for them to start to breed, IF they even decide they like each other. I have so many questions.

1) What's the difference between hobby breeding, and the point at which you need a license?
2) If I get 2 unrelated babies... how do I integrate them to become bonded to one another? I know there are no guarantees that the birds will bond, but, there have to be things I can do along the way, to help this out. Do I put them in 2 different cages, side by side? When do I let them interact?

3) If I get 2 baby African Greys... do you know how HARD it would be to NOT play with them, and bug them all evening long with scritches and cuddles?? Do I need to get 3 of them? 2 for a breeding pair, that I do not bug (I know they like privacy), and one for me to play with... or... can I play with them, tame them... and might they still bond with one another? Based on your answers... there will be many follow-up questions I will have.
jchurchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi!

African Greys are long lived and difficult to breed. You will have to have plenty of room, money and patience in order to set it all up. The proper cages are expensive and the upkeep is expensive, too. You will not have to have a license while your birds are maturing, but once you decide to sell, you will probably need an Occupational license ( to hang in your breeding area/office). This license is inexpensive. It would be wise to join the Better Business Bureau and any clubs that pertains to bird breeding or caring, etc. If you can, find a respectable breeder and become friends with them. This is good for you because you can learn from them.
There probably is a lot more to setting up a bird business than I know. But, I do know about small businesses, etc.

If you set yourself up as a hobbyist in the avian world and just sell a bird here and there. this would be the way to go, but there is not a lot of money to be made, even in the African Grey area. If you want to make good, extra money in the bird business, sell budgies, p'letts, lovebirds, etc. they are easier to breed and they breed a lot! You can put a lot of birds in a small area and make good money. If you are sneaky in the way you advertise birds for sell, you can get away without paying small business taxes, depending in what state you are in.

Common sense tells me that a person with 10 breeding pairs of budgies or p'letts can make several thousand dollars profit per year by raising hand friendly budgies and p'letts.

If I was 55 years old now, I would do it. But, I am 66 and in bad health.

Talk to some breeders if you can and ask them what to expect in breeding birds.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Why not a nice finch breed? From what i understand they raise their own young and you do not have to worry about hand taming.. etc They are so small you can get a lot of birds in a small space and they do not make a lot of noise compared to other birds.. idk

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

People breed birds as a hobby, not as a way to make money due to the ongoing costs of the birds, food, and veterinarian care.

If you got 2 birds that you intend to breed, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot interact and play with them. When in breeding condition, you will know and they will not be very interested in you during that time.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Everything I've heard about breeding says that it's a labor of love, not a way to make money. From what I understand, it's a lot of work with low profits. But I'm hardly an expert! I'd say, do a LOT of research before committing to anything.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
jchurchgirl

All good advice!! I figure, since I want the birds, anyway... why not try to offset a little of the cost? Mango's new girlfriend (a turquoise) will be getting ready to hatch any day. I have my eye set on her. lol
Old 10-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
jchurchgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
People breed birds as a hobby, not as a way to make money due to the ongoing costs of the birds, food, and veterinarian care.

If you got 2 birds that you intend to breed, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot interact and play with them. When in breeding condition, you will know and they will not be very interested in you during that time.

Jackie... that's great to hear!! I thought I would have to quit playing with Mango.