Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

~~~Another One Down!~~~

~~I Am Running Out Of Relatives! ~~

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 477 times.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Unhappy ~~~Another One Down!~~~

I received some bad news today about my Aunt Dola (pronounced, Dole-La).. She passed away after a long illness. She moved down to Florida from West Virginia with my family. She had married one of my Mother's 7 brothers. She lived about 45 minutes from my home.

She was one of my favorite Aunts because she was the most determined woman I had ever known. Here's why!

A few years ago, I mentioned in this forum about an Aunt who was dear to me. The subject I was writing about was about how determined parrotlets are and how they get what they want from their humans. Bogie was determined to do something, I can't remember what it was, and he never gave up trying!

He reminded me of my Aunt Dola. My Aunt wanted to learn how to play the piano all her life, but never had the chance to learn. Then, about 20 years ago, my Uncle Al ( her hubby) bought her a piano and set her up for piano lessons. When I heard about this, I knew it would be a lost cause because Dola was about the most uncoordinated person I knew. Do some of you remember the " I Love Lucy " shows with Lucille Ball?

Lucy always got herself into trouble and she was a klutz! Well, this was Dola! She was a true life Lucy! One time she put a can of almost empty spray paint in her hot oven because she heard that if you warm up the little bit of paint, it will give you more paint. Now you know what we were up against! The result was that she was right! She did get more paint out of that can! But it exploded all in her oven...every last drop. The glass in the oven door exploded out onto the floor, too.

She wanted to play the piano.....Get this....she took lessons for almost ten years and she couldn't hardly play " Mary Had A Little Lamb! " I am not kidding! She went through a dozen teachers.

Like I said, she was the most determined woman I ever knew!

She was my favorite, though. She gave birth to two beautiful children who went on to be successful. One is Doctor and the other a Civil Engineer. She knew how to raise children!! She made the best Hungarian Goulash I ever tasted.

I am going to miss her very much. She was a dear to me. She gave me my second budgie which I named Dusty, many years ago.

David, Vicki, and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
PeggyK

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK will become famous soon enough

I’m so sorry, Dave. Your sweet Aunt Dola is resting now in the arms of God. And may God hold you and Vicki close as you grieve this loss in your lives. God bless
PeggyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Sorry for your loss it is hard to lose family.

I come from a small family and there are not many of us left either. I never had any kids and it is about down to me and my father now. I have a few other family of course but we never see them and havent for twenty years so basically it's just me and dad left now after my mom passed.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

I'm sorry for your loss, David. Did she ever share her Hungarian Goulash recipe with you?

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
I'm so sorry Dave.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Very sorry for your loss...
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Thanks for your concerns! I received 4 phone calls from relatives and we all talked about the crazy things Dola did! She knew she was like that and used to laugh at herself. She wanted to look like Zsa Zsa Gabor ( and old flashy actress) so she beached her hair and wore fake diamonds, etc..

She even learned to cook Hungarian foods ( Zsa Zsa never ever even cooked! But, she was Hungarian, so Dola cooked a dish called Hungarian Goulash and it won cooking awards! She gave the recipe to my Mother and I have the recipe somewhere in my Mother's things. ( I hope). I will try to find it. It is out of this world. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Dola is gone, now, but my 1st cousin called me today and had bad news! Her father ( who married my Father's sister) has cancer of the kidneys. He is 88 years old and has refused chemo. He and my aunt live 60 miles from me.

I can't believe it! Well, my family is getting older and we are thinning out. Man...enough is enough! God Bless Them All.

David, Vicki, and Ricochet
Old 10-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeans View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, David. Did she ever share her Hungarian Goulash recipe with you?
She gave the recipe to my Mother and I will try to find it. I have my Mother's recipe boxes.

I'll send you the recipe if I find it. It is excellent. I have not had it in years!

Dave
Old 10-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

So very sorry for your loss. Stay strong. Your aunt will stay forever with you in your heart. That will keep your memories of her alive for you.

Please share her recipe with us all.
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
David Miller

Thanks, everyone! I talked to both her sons today on the phone. Dola was 86 years old and had the last stages of dementia. Her sons were saddened but understood that she wasn't suffering anymore.

WE talked about all the crazy, but funny messes she got herself into. I mentioned the spray paint can exploding in her oven and both sons laughed so hard that they couldn't talk! Steve, her oldest son, said, " Baked food didn't taste the same after that...."

I will miss her very much. She and my mother were close and now they are gone. It is hard getting old.

David