Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

Life with bunnies

This thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 1916 times.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
tijya

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

tijya will become famous soon enough

Thanks. So I'm a bit torn on the outcome.

The vet checked her over (teeth included) and said she's in excellent health for a five year old bunny. Being that she's actually seven, I'd take that as a good thing haha.

I was impressed at how thoroughly he checked her out. He's not the usual vet we see (but at the same office) and maybe it's a good thing since her 'usual' vet generally goes along with everything I think. Which while I appreciate her acknowledging I've done bunnies for a while, I know I don't know everything. :P

He didn't seem concerned about her eye - at all. I was sure we'd be coming home with an antibiotic. So I don't love that. Now, I don't want my bunny over medicated, but this eye thing isn't normal.

It could be related to her allergies, but I have my doubts since she's had allergies ever since we got her (when she was a baby bunny) and her eye has never been an issue.

The good news is that we were able to get the med that she's been on. Had to go to a pharmacy with a prescription, but we have it. We had to get a huge quantity, but it works so well for her.

We are going to try a few things....like wet her hay, switch her from one kind to another, and stop the prescription pain meds for a week. She's on that for arthritis but he's not convinced she needs it.

He's thinking that it might be messing with her hunger. BUT, the porker is gaining weight, so it's a minor concern.

But it's possible that the cut down on hay consumption could be that we mix her meds with food to make it easier on all of us....which means she's getting more food than normal. Then again, that's been the case for six-ish months so you'd think we would have noticed the reduced hay consumption.

So all of that to say, who knows what is up. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Thanks for replying to my rambling.
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #22
tijya

OOH, I FORGOT SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME! (disclaimer: there were no injuries)

So the vet's office has a wandering cat. He's always seemed interested in my bunny but usually she's in her carrier so she ignores him. Today, he jumped on the vet table, where Naveen was sitting.

I figured if they let the cat roam, he can't pose a threat to small pets. I expected Naveen to get scared or stomp at the cat. They sniffed each other nose to nose for a few seconds. Long enough that you'd think "ah, it's all good".

And then she growled and lunged at the cat....who ran away very quickly. I laughed so freaking loud I think they thought I was crazy (I was alone in the room at the time).

Now, I know this bunny can be scrappy but I've only ever seen it against other bunnies. The cat was three times her size! New name: Naveen, the Bunny Warrior
Old 10-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #23
Whispercalm

Whispercalm is on a distinguished road

Have you tried switching brands of hay? Sometimes I do that when Buddy seems off hay.
It could be just that particular bale or bag tastes off to her also. Buddy eats mainly timothy, but I also offer, orchard and meadow grass hay. Sometimes oat hay.
Once when I switched his brand of Timothy hay, I had a little of the old brand left, so put it in a corner of the box. I came back later and he had moved the old brand hay out onto the floor and only the new brand was still there.
Maybe her eye is just irritated from some hay dust. Hopefully it will clear up soon. I understand your concern about her teeth causing the problem, but sounds reassuring the vet thinks the are ok.

Last edited by Whispercalm; 10-02-2018 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Correction
Whispercalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #24
Whispercalm

Whispercalm is on a distinguished road

Oh, I just reread your post and saw that your going to try switching hay.
Whispercalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #25
tijya

Thanks. I checked with a rabbit rescue (where I got all but Naveen) and she also suggested butting the hay in a box with a small opening. Big enough to fit her head but not the rest of her body. She may not get as much dust.

So I will be trying a few things.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #26
tijya

Nothing major, just got to get it out. When I share with my rabbit group, I get a billion suggestions, which can be great. I'm just not 'there' right now.

I love her. But I am very tired/frustrated with her health. Her sneezing/wheezing has continued. The meds help but don't eliminate. I figure if I don't hear her wheezing too much, that might be her new normal.

We've started her on a new med for arthritis and it's helping a lot. But we have a new issue (started before the new med) that she has excessive soft poop. She's better at cleaning herself on the new med, but today seems particularly bad.

I was away for a week and my husband didn't deal with her messy butt. So, I got home on Saturday and did that Saturday night (after a 10 hour drive). I couldn't get it all, so I did more on Sunday.

There was new mess today and it was the grossest we've had yet. So, I cleaned that up. Less than an hour later, she had new poop on her.

If it's as bad tomorrow, I will likely have to take her back to the vet. In doing some research, it could be a sign of kidney or liver issues (I don't remember and didn't want to freak myself out).

So she may need bloodwork. I wouldn't trade her for anything, so I guess I'm just struggling with being home again and having to do all of this. Meds 3.5 times/day. And twice weekly injections. And I guess daily butt/paw cleaning? Random head massages to stop sneezing fits...

It's just a lot. That is all.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #27
tijya

Oh, and my husband does pull his weight. He does the litterbox and floor messes. He likely wouldn't have been patient enough for the messy butt/paws. Their paws are super sensitive so it takes body contortion (human and bunny), water, coconut oil, cornstarch, lots of patience, and luck. :P
Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #28
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry you're having trouble. It's so hard when pets get old. We had problems with our elderly dog, and that was rough. It definitely is a lot.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #29
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijya View Post
Nothing major, just got to get it out. When I share with my rabbit group, I get a billion suggestions, which can be great. I'm just not 'there' right now.

I love her. But I am very tired/frustrated with her health. Her sneezing/wheezing has continued. The meds help but don't eliminate. I figure if I don't hear her wheezing too much, that might be her new normal.

We've started her on a new med for arthritis and it's helping a lot. But we have a new issue (started before the new med) that she has excessive soft poop. She's better at cleaning herself on the new med, but today seems particularly bad.

I was away for a week and my husband didn't deal with her messy butt. So, I got home on Saturday and did that Saturday night (after a 10 hour drive). I couldn't get it all, so I did more on Sunday.

There was new mess today and it was the grossest we've had yet. So, I cleaned that up. Less than an hour later, she had new poop on her.

If it's as bad tomorrow, I will likely have to take her back to the vet. In doing some research, it could be a sign of kidney or liver issues (I don't remember and didn't want to freak myself out).

So she may need bloodwork. I wouldn't trade her for anything, so I guess I'm just struggling with being home again and having to do all of this. Meds 3.5 times/day. And twice weekly injections. And I guess daily butt/paw cleaning? Random head massages to stop sneezing fits...

It's just a lot. That is all.
I'm sorry your bun is having so much trouble. I have had so many sick/elderly pets over the years and have given injections, oral meds and fed by hand miscellaneous birds, rats and lizards. It's tough but if course we do it because we love them. What a kind person you are to do all that for her.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #30
tijya

Thanks.

She was able to get the 'next' glob of poop off so I had a bit of a break. It looks like she has some on her but she might be able to tackle that on her own. It's crazy how much of a difference the injections make with her mobility.

We also think that one of the treats was causing some of the problem. In removing that, she is cleaner.

Anyway, thanks again.