Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

Life with bunnies

This thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 1909 times.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #11
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about Naveen's issues and your own cough. What sort of things cause behavioral problems like this in buns? Hope you feel better soon!

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
tijya

tijya will become famous soon enough

Thanks.

Usually a loss in litterhabits that are behavioural can include bringing in a new bunny or stress. Neither of these apply.

However, my previous bunnies had litterbox issues due to age, so she may have picked up on that. She's never been perfect, but poop is easier to deal with than pee on the carpet.

I've loaded the living room up with litterboxes, gave her low entry boxes in case it's arthritis, etc. It would be great if it's behavioural. I'm just not convinced :P
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
tijya

We never really figured out if it's behavioural for sure, but it looks like it might be and this could be her attempt to have me move out. :P

So I was away for 12 days. A few days before we left, she wasn't herself. She'd eat, but very slowly and reluctantly. This can mean teeth issues, untreated pain, etc. This started on a Monday, we were leaving on a Thursday. I made an appointment at the vet, and then cancelled it because she went back to normal.

While I was away, she did very well. Explored upstairs (which she hasn't done in a very long time), had better litter habits, did her happy twitching, etc. My husband told me she must love me not being here.

I got home yesterday. She wasn't as mad at me for leaving as she usually is. Didn't need to bribe her with food to get her to love me again.

I had grand hopes of sleeping in today. After working until 11 PM and waking up at six with the niece and nephew, I needed to sleep in. :P

Instead, my husband woke me up to tell me Naveen's sick. Not eating. Lethargic. She's got a belly full of gas. She will be ok once some meds kick in, but man, I think I need to move out!
Old 05-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Whispercalm

Whispercalm is on a distinguished road

Weve got an almost 4 year old bunny named Buddy. Hes a wonderful little boy...well hes almost 8 pounds. part Flemish giant. Hes free roam in our house and litter box trained. We have bunnyland #1 under the stair landing which has cardboard tunnel, cardboard box with doors cut in it and various other toys. Bunnyland #2 is in the den. Well, bunny room/craft room. He has a cage in there, but never uses it other than he likes to run in before bed and have his before bed snack there. The room has another large box with doors, and toys. Besides my desk, bookshelf, chair and a tv. He sleeps in there at night with the door closed.
He loves running up our stairs and racing like crazy through the bedrooms.
Morning routine is a fresh mixed salad for breakfast. He also gets 2 papaya tablets for digestion and he shares a banana with dad. He has timothy hay to munch on all day. Dinner is another fresh salad. Evening snacks are about a tablespoon of fresh canned pumpkin for digestion. He gets the pumpkin in a little dish on the couch. When finished he lays close to my side for pumpkin snuggles. At bedtime some more papaya tablets and a handful of forage.
If your bunny has a tendency for GI Stasis, a little canned pumpkin helps keep the digestion moving and helps move hair through system. I also give him Bene-bac twice a week which I feel has been crucial in helping the digestive issues hes had. We almost lost him twice until I started this routine.
Whispercalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #15
tijya

Ooh, another bunny! And a big one! I was going through some old photos and it made me realize how tiny Naveen is. She's like 3 lbs.

Yep, pumpkin and papaya are awesome for digestion. We've never done bene-bac but I may look into that.

Pineapple is supposed to be good too.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
theteenygirl

theteenygirl will become famous soon enough

One of my good friends has two bunnies - one is a Flemish Giant. She is HUGE. Bigger than some dogs! She is so awesome. Roams the house like a cat. Loves to flop on her side and snooze. She'll steal banana out of your hand if you're not careful! Sadly she doesn't like snuggles and won't let you pick her up. But you can lie on the floor with her and pet her ears
Old 05-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
tijya

I always wanted a French lop. They're pretty big. It's not in the cards.

Not many bunnies enjoy being picked up. Of the 8 I've had, 2 liked it, 1 tolerated it. But then some were 'couch' bunnies so we'd snuggle that way.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #18
tijya

So last month, the day before I left on a mini vacation, she needed an emergency vet visit for not eating. She is ok, but so stressful!

Then, this past week, we were dog sitting. The dog wanted to chase her, so we had to keep them separate. Naveen found a 'hiding' spot in her room that made her feel secure, so we didn't think anything of it.

Long story short, she managed to get a strip of duct tape stuck to her foot. Sigh. It's off, but something I never would have expected. Fun times.

Also, dog sitting makes me want to have bunnies forever :P
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #19
tijya

Just worried about my bunny and need somewhere to 'talk'.

The past 2 years she's been poked and prodded at, to find out her issue might be allergies. The fancy exotic vet is unconvinced, despite remarkable improvement on meds 3x/day.

Because of that, and the 3 hours to get to that vet, we are going back to our regular vet to manage her allergies. But in the past, they haven't been able to get the particular meds that she's on.

And since cutting down to twice a day (on vet orders), she developed a weepy eye. I figured it was related but my husband commented that she's not eating much hay.

Which indicates teeth issues. She has an appointment at the vet in the morning. I'm just stressing.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 PM   #20
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijya View Post
Just worried about my bunny and need somewhere to 'talk'.

The past 2 years she's been poked and prodded at, to find out her issue might be allergies. The fancy exotic vet is unconvinced, despite remarkable improvement on meds 3x/day.

Because of that, and the 3 hours to get to that vet, we are going back to our regular vet to manage her allergies. But in the past, they haven't been able to get the particular meds that she's on.

And since cutting down to twice a day (on vet orders), she developed a weepy eye. I figured it was related but my husband commented that she's not eating much hay.

Which indicates teeth issues. She has an appointment at the vet in the morning. I'm just stressing.
Feel free to talk about your bunny anytime. I am (along with pretty much everyone else on here) a lover of all critters.

It's so hard, isn't it? Our critters can't tell us what's wrong or where it hurts so we have to hope for a good vet and an educated guess. I've been stressed over the health of various pets over the years; birds, lizards, rats. I feel your pain.

Please let us know how your bunny's appointment goes tomorrow.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote