Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Jules Health

This thread has 63 replies and has been viewed 2515 times.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #21
Squeaky&Pixie

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Squeaky&Pixie is on a distinguished road

Hi, sorry to hear about jukes not being well but glad to know she seems to be improving!

I am also on Avian Avenue, and a number of people there are teaching their birds to accept syringe treats. They offer Apple sauce etc, as a treat and gets the bird used to eating from the syringe so that if they have to give them meds, it is less stressful on the bird. Have not started with my love bird but then he loves snuggling down in my hand and sleeping so no problem with holding him...

hope she is back to her old self real soon.
Squeaky&Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2020, 11:57 PM   #22
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
Glad Jules is taking her meds better. Good girl, Jules!

Ozzie, guess what? I used the hand cave technique on Cleopatra. To my amazement I picked her up the way I usually do it, but then turned her over and she was perfectly fine! It was kinda funny because she gave me this look like "Whoa, wait a minute here, what are you doing??" I've never attempted to hold her upside down like that in my hand before. But she didn't bite me or anything! She trusts me! I feel so honored!

But, I know if I have to give her meds with a syringe one day she is going to freak out, so I need to get her familiar with one. I guess I'll just place one down where she hangs out so she can get use to it.
You could try feeding her favorite treat. I think that is what meds easier for Jules. She was used to eating while in a cave.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #23
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky&Pixie View Post
Hi, sorry to hear about jukes not being well but glad to know she seems to be improving!

I am also on Avian Avenue, and a number of people there are teaching their birds to accept syringe treats. They offer Apple sauce etc, as a treat and gets the bird used to eating from the syringe so that if they have to give them meds, it is less stressful on the bird. Have not started with my love bird but then he loves snuggling down in my hand and sleeping so no problem with holding him...

hope she is back to her old self real soon.
Apple sauce in a syringe sounds like a great method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #24
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
Glad Jules is taking her meds better. Good girl, Jules!

Ozzie, guess what? I used the hand cave technique on Cleopatra. To my amazement I picked her up the way I usually do it, but then turned her over and she was perfectly fine! It was kinda funny because she gave me this look like "Whoa, wait a minute here, what are you doing??" I've never attempted to hold her upside down like that in my hand before. But she didn't bite me or anything! She trusts me! I feel so honored!
You should be honored. That is a great deal of trust for a little bird to give. Not sure we (Jules and I) will make the upside down stage.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #25
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

Squeaky & Pixie - Thanks for the applesauce in the syringe idea! I would have never thought of it!

Ozzie - Thanks! They sure have way of surprising you! I was expecting the complete opposite! lol
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #26
BentleysMom

Parrotlets Owned: 1

BentleysMom is on a distinguished road

Hi Ozzie,

Thank you for the hand cave information! I hope Jules continues to get better and better!
BentleysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #27
Anya

How's Jules doing lately?
Old 06-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #28
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

She still on her meds and so far taking them well. Only had one day she was uncooperative and that may have been our fault in that we hurried the situation instead of all being in a peaceful mind.

Her droppings have improved in shape and context. She is no longer straining and does not seem to have a poopy butt. She seems less fluffed as before so that is good. On the bad side she is still sleeping alot, serious neck tucked type of naps and she seems a bit weak and unsteady at times. We have a vet visit this week and hopefully some test results back. I suspect we will get another round of meds that are more aimed at the issue with the results. So we shall see.
One point of concern is that we have a vacation at the end of the month. We normally take her with us. Now we are in a quandary as to take her or leave her. Which would be best for her.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #29
Anya

Yes, you do have a bit of a dilemma on what you should do when you go on vacation. Just listen to what your vet has to say about it when you see him this week, and then listen to what your gut tells you. I’m sure that whatever decision you and your wife come to will be what’s best for Jules.

I’m really hoping that you guys can take her with you.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #30
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Unless she is really bad I suspect we will take her. She travels well and the stress of being away will most likely be greater than the stress of leaving her. Outside that our normal person she is used to being housed with when we travel is going with us so she will have to be housed with a stranger to her and them.