Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Jules Health

This thread has 63 replies and has been viewed 2445 times.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
That's such good new! Way to go Jules! Woo Hoo!

And, she's continuing to use you as a human napkin - that's definitely a good sign!

That's awesome that you can hold Jules around like that. I've been kinda working on that with Cleopatra. I'm at the point where I can pick her up from somewhere I don't want her to be, and move her some place else, but that's it. It's just for a few seconds and she doesn't have any problem with it - I place my fingers under so she can step onto a finger. The next time I pick her up, I'm going try more of the hand cave approach and hold on to her longer and see how she does.
The hand cave has a lot to recommend it. In our case once I got Jules used to my hands to the point that I could enclose her she lost almost all fear of my hands and allowed me to manhandle her more than she would ever allow anybody else. That is another aspect, least for us, it is very person specific. What Jules allows me to do does not directly translate to what she lets my wife or others to do to/for her. Jules will not allow my wife to do hand cave, manhandling, or nite/nite. But my wife has not put time into trying those things. Odd birds parrotlets, but when they do trust it is an honor.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #12
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

When I got Ricochet from MamaB, he could be held in my hand, turned upside down on my palm and I could open his wings, spread his tail feathers and turn him upside down! I never had any bird like that! This was on the first day that I had him! Even Bogie had some limits to what I could do. He would never let me open his wings at all, but I could grab him, lay him on his back in my palm, and he would accept meds.

MamaB fed Ricochet from birth and hand trained him. He was soooo friendly until puberty. Then, he became a biter, but I could still handle him okay.

Ozzie is correct about getting the " Hand cave " going on. I could cup Bogie or Ricochet and they would calm down....Bogie would take a nap.

David
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #13
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Hand cave worked again though Jules was a bit more resisting, which may have been our fault in rushing the timing. She no longer seems to be staining during droppings so are a bit hopeful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2020, 11:52 PM   #14
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

That's so good that Jules is showing more signs of improvement! I can just imagine how worried you've been about her. I'm really praying that she's completely well soon!

Tell her that Auntie Anya says she has to be a good girl and take all her medicine! ;-) Seriously, though, I'm really happy to hear more good news.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:19 AM   #15
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

I am glad to hear about a bit of improvement.

Years ago I had to give my love bird medicine and that bird was extremely tame and took the meds like a champ.

Hope she continues to take the meds.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #16
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Third day of meds went really well. She is still fluffed more than we like and seems a bit weak though she perches well. I was in a meeting this morning and she left a dropping on my shirt that looked very normal. Funny about being happy about a bird pooping on your shirt but I was.
Life goes on.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
BentleysMom

Parrotlets Owned: 1

BentleysMom is on a distinguished road

I'm so happy to hear that Jules is doing better!

Could someone please explain the hand cave?
BentleysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #18
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentleysMom View Post
I'm so happy to hear that Jules is doing better!

Could someone please explain the hand cave?
Basically making a cup in your hands around a parrotlet. For us at night it is her sitting on my chest and I surround her in my hands. Usually her head can look out. She has gotten so she will sleep that way for a few minutes at a time. A variation of it is when my hands are cupped below her and by other hand is over her so she can look out. You want them to be very comfortable in this position and not pressure is applied.

The name sort of started with another member and I was discussing the training. To start I was making a cave with my hands and hiding a treat in it. putting the treat back a bit further over time so Jules would venture a bit further each time and understand that MY hands were not like other grabby hands.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
Evelyn

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Evelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to all

Hoping Jules gets back to 110 percent. Sorry she is sick.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #20
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

Glad Jules is taking her meds better. Good girl, Jules!

Ozzie, guess what? I used the hand cave technique on Cleopatra. To my amazement I picked her up the way I usually do it, but then turned her over and she was perfectly fine! It was kinda funny because she gave me this look like "Whoa, wait a minute here, what are you doing??" I've never attempted to hold her upside down like that in my hand before. But she didn't bite me or anything! She trusts me! I feel so honored!

But, I know if I have to give her meds with a syringe one day she is going to freak out, so I need to get her familiar with one. I guess I'll just place one down where she hangs out so she can get use to it.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote