Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Jules Health

This thread has 63 replies and has been viewed 2685 times.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Jules Health

For about a week Jules has been increasing lethargic. She developed a poopy bottom that kept fowling, very wet droppings. Today I started hearing clicking sometimes when she breathed. Took her to the vet. With COVID restrictions this was a 9 hour affair.
Seems she has some sort of gastrointestinal infection. As well as inflamed air sacks. Sort of birdy phenomena with a stomach infection.
She is now on two different medications and a probiotic, as well as confined to cage. She is not a happy camper. It will be an interesting week as I force her to eat her medication.
We have had her 7 years, so she is older than that. Probably about 10 years old so she is no longer a young strong bird. Wish us luck. If it goes bad it will be rough.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I hope Jules gets through this! It sounds like the vet is a very knowledgeable vet and covered all areas of infection. Probiotics can really help stabilize her poo do's, depending on what the other meds are.

Come on, Jules! You can make it! You are in the best of care.

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

Ozzie, my gosh, a nine hour wait - you certainly need to be commended for that! Jules is lucky to be in such good hands. I am definitely wishing and hoping that Jules has a quick recovery. And, I hope she doesn't have to stay too long in her cage. Poor little thing. Hope she is better soon! Keep us posted on how she is doing!
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

She has this forum to thank. Years of being on here has taught e what to look for in a sick birdy. I suspect without everybody’s experience I have read over the year I would not responded in time to give her a fighting chance.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

They are giving her
Baytril
Flagyl
Benebac Pet gel

These are general meds given on the short term test given. More involved sample test results should be back next week and meds adjusted.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Good stuff! I totally agree with you! When Bogie started acting a little lethargic, I paid close attention to everything he did, said and how he acted. This made me and my wife go on alert when he ' changed ' just a little out of kilter. We took him to the vet and the fight was on!

I learned to closely observe him from the members of this forum! Experiences help out a lot.

David and VIcki

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:41 AM   #7
BentleysMom

Parrotlets Owned: 1

BentleysMom is on a distinguished road

I hope Jules gets better soon!
BentleysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Gave Jules her morning doses earlier and it went surprisingly well.

I have to thank the forum for that.

Years ago a member suggested teaching a "hand cave" and handling regularly in case of medical or emergencies. I work with Jules daily with surrounding her in my hands and carrying her a bit. When she wanted out I would let her go, no struggle. Usually a treat was involved. It got so she liked the "hand cave" for short times like minutes at a time. Since she first came to us as a cage bound, hand hostile creature, it took a lot of tolerance and trust on her part to allow me to hold her. It also taught me what she would and would not tolerate when I held her.

It has been useful over time but today it really paid off. I held her today in the hand cave as she took her full doses of meds. I remember trying to do the same with her mate, Bo, 7 years ago and it was a losing fight. I am not sure I got much into him then. Not so with Jules, she took them with no resistance at all. Not sure she is happy about it but the trust and bond held. Afterward she crawled up to my shoulder and cleaned her beak to show no hard feelings.

So far all is well. I have to recommend hand training for everybody with birds.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I hope that Jules responds to the medication and feels better. Please keep us posted on her progress...
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enough

That's such good new! Way to go Jules! Woo Hoo!

And, she's continuing to use you as a human napkin - that's definitely a good sign!

That's awesome that you can hold Jules around like that. I've been kinda working on that with Cleopatra. I'm at the point where I can pick her up from somewhere I don't want her to be, and move her some place else, but that's it. It's just for a few seconds and she doesn't have any problem with it - I place my fingers under so she can step onto a finger. The next time I pick her up, I'm going try more of the hand cave approach and hold on to her longer and see how she does.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote