Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

Notices

turquoise genetic

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 522 times.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
zebra

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

zebra is on a distinguished road

turquoise genetic

hello i am not new in breeding parrotlet but i am new in turquoise gene so please tell me where can i found information about this gene,is it dominant or recessive ,is it the same for green or blue one etc etc...
thank you
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

We don't have any breeders or experts on parrotlet genetics in this forum. You want to be very knowledgeable on genetics before attempting to breed parrotlets. Good breeders know the genetics of each of their birds and pair them with that in mind.

A turquoise bird is an incomplete blue. It is not recommended to breed blue series birds with other blue series birds as it can result in genetically weak offspring prone to congenital defects. White birds are also blue series birds. The best breeders always breed blue series birds back to the dominant green series to ensure that all of the babies are healthy and genetically sound.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Like Jackie said, we don't have experts in this forum, so it is wise to find someone who is an expert, and listen to them. It is a very complex subject. You could probably look up avian genetics and find someone who is an expert. I had a friend in Orlando who knew about this matter, but she died. I'll call her husband and see if he can find the name of one of her coworkers in the field of avian genetics.

Go to the Lafeber.com home page and you can find a list of avian experts in just about every field. Maybe you can contact someone on that list to get your info.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Go to the Lafeber.com home page and you can find a list of avian experts in just about every field. Maybe you can contact someone on that list to get your info.

None of them are experts on parrotlet genetics. Each bird species is a different when it comes to their genetics.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
sletter1

Parrotlets Owned: 30
Experience: Parrotlet Breeder

sletter1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
hello i am not new in breeding parrotlet but i am new in turquoise gene so please tell me where can i found information about this gene,is it dominant or recessive ,is it the same for green or blue one etc etc...
thank you
While I am not a true expert, I do know a bit about turquoise genetics. It is recessive but dominant to blue. That means that you need both parents to pass on either the blue gene or the turquoise (at least one must pass turquoise). And if one passes blue and the other turquoise, the chick will show turquoise.

It is extremely difficult to properly pair a turquoise because first you need documents for at least 3 generations of the pair and most pairings will produce unknown splits

As you are new to breeding, I have to recommend you avoid breeding them. But if you must, the best pairing is with a blue. You should only do this with the knowledge that there are no related birds for at least 3 generations.

If the turquoise is split to blue (most likely) you will get 50% blue and 50% turquoise split to blue. If the turquoise is double factor ( both parents contributed a turquoise gene) then you will get 100% turquoise split to blue.
sletter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sletter1 View Post
While I am not a true expert, I do know a bit about turquoise genetics. It is recessive but dominant to blue. That means that you need both parents to pass on either the blue gene or the turquoise (at least one must pass turquoise). And if one passes blue and the other turquoise, the chick will show turquoise.

It is extremely difficult to properly pair a turquoise because first you need documents for at least 3 generations of the pair and most pairings will produce unknown splits

As you are new to breeding, I have to recommend you avoid breeding them. But if you must, the best pairing is with a blue. You should only do this with the knowledge that there are no related birds for at least 3 generations.

If the turquoise is split to blue (most likely) you will get 50% blue and 50% turquoise split to blue. If the turquoise is double factor ( both parents contributed a turquoise gene) then you will get 100% turquoise split to blue.

I read an article about this! The article is somewhere in a box and the article was written years ago! I remember what was in the article after you explained it. From what you just said, it is 100% accurate! I always have problems remembering factoring the generations vs the splits. Thanks.

When I got my green p'lett ( Bogie ) I was studying some genetic info. The breeder I got Bogie from showed me records of Bogie's parents and their past generations and breeding schedules, etc. He was a true green Pacific. I was associated with the breeder for a year before I bought Bogie from her. When I got Ricochet, he was green, but I didn't know his past generation's history.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
Evelyn

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Evelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to all

This is a lot of deep stuff to learn. I am just glad I have my 2, I just want to understand their personality , the genetics are way to confusing to me. It must take years and many mistakes to get the perfect mix.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
This is a lot of deep stuff to learn. I am just glad I have my 2, I just want to understand their personality , the genetics are way to confusing to me. It must take years and many mistakes to get the perfect mix.

There should NEVER be any mistakes. That's why it is important that people who plan to breed learn about the genetics involved BEFORE breeding. The parrotlet genetic pool in the US is weak to begin with, which is why the genetics aspect is so important.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
Evelyn

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Evelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
There should NEVER be any mistakes. That's why it is important that people who plan to breed learn about the genetics involved BEFORE breeding. The parrotlet genetic pool in the US is weak to begin with, which is why the genetics aspect is so important.
You are exactly right!