Talk Parrotlets Forums - View Single Post - ~~~~Bogie's Published Life-2009~~~~
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
Fabulous story. You do know that there is a "new" verb BOGART. I got this info from the Merriam Webster Dictionary.

bogart verb

bo·​gart | \ ˈbō-ˌgärt \
bogarted; bogarting; bogarts
Definition of bogart (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
1 : BULLY sense 2
2 : to use or consume without sharing
Bogart biographical name
Bo·​gart | \ ˈbō-ˌgärt \
Definition of Bogart (Entry 2 of 2)
Humphrey (DeForest) 1899–1957 American actor

Synonyms for bogart
Synonyms: Verb
blackjack, browbeat, bulldoze, bully, bullyrag, cow, hector, intimidate, mau-mau, strong-arm

Did You Know?
The legendary film actor Humphrey Bogart was known for playing a range of tough characters in a series of films throughout the 1940s and 1950s, including The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and The African Queen. The men he portrayed often possessed a cool, hardened exterior that occasionally let forth a suggestion of romantic or idealistic sentimentality. Bogart also had a unique method of smoking cigarettes in these pictures - letting the butt dangle from his mouth without removing it until it was almost entirely consumed. It is believed that this habit inspired the current meaning of "bogart," which was once limited to the phrase "Don't bogart that joint [marijuana cigarette]," as popularized by a song on the soundtrack to the film Easy Rider, among other things. Today "bogart" can be applied to hogging almost anything.
Examples of bogart in a Sentence
Verb
his friends tried to bogart him into doing the right thing and marrying the girl

First Known Use of bogart
Verb
1965, in the meaning defined at sense 1
History and Etymology for bogart
Verb
probably from Humphrey Bogart †1957 American film actor

The first known use of bogart was in 1965
Wow! You really got into it. Humphrey Bogart was my hero in the movies you mentioned. The picture I saw in the restaurant was a close-up of his face and his cigarette was hanging out of his mouth, just as you described.
He died of heart failure. He organized a party at his home and during the party, he got tired. He went up stairs to get rest. A few minutes later, he called for someone to carry him back down to the party. He didn't want to miss anything. He had a heart attack and died. This is one account of how he died. I saw his story on TV . He was 59.
In real life, he was a really nice person. He helped many young starts get their chance at the big time. Word is that his baby picture was the original picture on the Gerber baby food jars! Yes, that's him!

I never checked into these facts for their validity. I saw it on a Bio about his life.

That is interesting information you discovered. Every one of those descriptive words ( synonyms) described a parrotlet to some degree. There's even an official word " bogey " used in golfing!

You've heard in this forum many times about how people named their p'lett. Many people said that they didn't name their bird until they determined their personality. I think I named Bogie properly. He even died young, like Bogart, but my Bogie did not smoke or drink!

" Here's looking at you, Kid! " ( quote by Bogart).

Last edited by David Miller; 05-22-2020 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: added a word
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote