Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

biting feet?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kczfree2047 
#1 ·
Hi, my new parrotlet sweetpea has been biting one of his feet alot, and sometimes only stands on one. he is going to the vet in a couple days anyways for a checkup, but do you guys know anything about this? he is molting if that could be a reason.

#2 ·
Standing on one foot is not unusual. If he is favoring one foot over the other then that is an issue. Do you see any sort of sore or discoloration on the feet?

#3 ·
I do not have anything new to add but wanted to stop in and suggest you make a list of all the things you would like to ask your vet like this leg thing and what to feed your bird... etc

I find if I write things down I am less likely to forget them on the visit. :)

#4 ·
They nap with one foot tucked up, but paying attention to one foot more than the other isn't normal. I'd mention it to the vet for sure! Then you will know if there is anything to worry about, or your bird just has a weird single foot fetish.

#5 ·
My Bogie did the same thing! I took him to the vet for a check-up and mentioned this to him. He suggested that we take the leg band off. We did and no more favoring that leg! He didn't like the leg band. If Sweet Pea does not have a leg band, ask the breeder why this is! He should have one.

Dave;)

#8 ·
Some breeders band birds to make them easier to track. Some areas require the bands. Personally I prefer my birds to be unbranded.

#10 ·
A leg band is NOT a shackle! I cannot even believe that I have to state the obvious.

Many breeders choose to put leg bands on the babies when young. As long as the bird does not have a leg injury or a skin condition on the leg, it poses no risk or harm. It is like us wearing a necklace or a bracelet.

#11 ·
I wouldn't have minded if Tumi had had one, but since the only option for him now would be an open band when can get caught on things, I won't be banding him unless someone forces me to. But if he had had one, he would still have it, unless it was bugging him or making an issue. The open bands are FAR inferior to the closed as far as I can tell, though, and definitely not great as they can pose a safety hazard.