Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

mine died 2 days ago 😞

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  pixiebird 
#1 · (Edited)
he had an accident outside the cage....

I feel so sad I don't know what to do.. ;(
I had him for 5 years..
I took him to the Vet but they couldn't save him.

should I get a new baby? will it help?
I think I'll just feel like I'm replacing him.

#2 ·
Sorry to read about this.
Wait umtil you are truly ready before you get another bird. You must miss not having a bird around. These birds have different personalities. My sister's male seems more affectionate than my Oliver. Don't feel you need rush into anything. Let us know when you are decided.

#7 ·
What was his name? We have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where we memorialize our little ones. Nobody can quite understand the loss as much as other bird people. Hopefully you guys will be reunited again in what comes next.

It will be up to you if and when to get new feathered friend. Just know it will not / can not be a replacement as you mentioned. Every feathered friend is a unique individual personality, just like every snow flake is a unique creation.

#8 ·
DJFL77 years ago I lost one of my parrotlets. Somebody posted the poem below and it oddly helped. Hope this helps and you will meet your little guy sometime as our great adventures continue.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a bird dies that has been especially close to someone here, that bird goes to the Rainbow Bridge. At the Rainbow Bridge, there are meadows, hills, and beautiful trees of all kinds where all our special friends can fly and climb, hang and flap, hop and run, jump and play, squawk and squeal and sing together.

There is plenty of good food, including grapes and peanuts, ice cream and cheese, spaghetti and especially lots of pizza. There is crystal clear water in brooks and springs are filled with water as well as every kind of delicious fresh fruit juice.

One warm spring even runs full of the coffee they can now drink their fill of without hearing a single no-no. There is a lot of glorious sunshine and sweet warm rain when they want it and our friends are warm and comfortable and totally at peace.

All the birds that had been ill or old are restored to health and vigour and to their natural incredible beauty. Their feathers shine, their wing feathers are whole and their eyes gleam once again with vitality. Those who were hurt, maimed, ignored, or broken-hearted are made whole again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

The birds are happy and content. Except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind when the bird returned home. Still they all fly and play happily and safely and noisily together: even the grouchiest greys and orneriest senegal, the tiniest finches, the grandest macaws and the sassiest of parrotlets.

But the day comes for each bird when he suddenly stops and looks far into the distance. His body freezes and his bright eyes are intent as he watches and listens in silence. Suddenly he begins to fly from the group, soaring over the green grass, his wings flapping harder and harder!

You have been spotted - and he shrieks to you and then calls your name and his own and cries again and again, as he rushes towards you.When you and your bird finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, knowing you will never be parted again.

Your face and your fingers and even your toes are covered with beak nibbles and soft ecstatic kisses. Your hair is preened by that special beak, and his head bends under your fingers to invite your touch. Your hands again find their way under beloved wings, to caress the downy softness beneath.

You look once more into the trusting eyes of your companion, so long from your physical life on earth but never for an instant absent from your heart. Your tears of joy are gently brushed away by those beloved wings and feeling immersed once more in total contentment and love, you and your beloved companion cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Author unknown

#9 ·
I am sorry for your loss. It is never easy. Everyone is different in their grieving process. Some can get another bird in a week; some take months or longer. There is no right or wrong in this. You yourself will know when it is time. Just listen to your heart.

#10 ·
I am so sorry for your loss! I have lost 2 p'letts in the last 2 years! One by sickness and one by accident. It really hurts to lose one, but I will tell you this....After I lost 10 year old Bogie, I started to look for another one. It took me 2 months to get one and I am glad I did! It was the best decision I ever made!

I saw a lot of Bogie in my new one, Ricochet. I knew just how to raise a parrotlet! Look around, but wait for the springtime to get one. Take your time and make sure you ask us for advice in this forum! We collectively can guide you and help you out. We know breeders, too!

Welcome to this forum! We are here to help you out! What state are you in?

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

#11 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't think anyone can answer your question but you. Its ok to get a new bird right away if you feel ready to commit to an animal in the long term. If you need time to heal and process, that's ok too. No matter what you need to do, its a testimonial to how much you loved your p-let. I think the love can manifest in the desire for another bird or a period of morning. You do what's best for you, and your future bird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.