Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

tips for helping with those itchy pins?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  littlehuck 
#1 ·
I'm looking for tips on how to help Luna and one other of my birds out with those pesky pin feathers that they can't reach on their own. Neither bird will allow scritches from me, and neither bird has another bird to help out. So I see them rubbing their heads/back of necks on toys, perches, perch corners, etc. and I feel really badly because it doesn't seem to be too effective. Is there anything I can offer that will actually help??

Luna used to allow scritches, then one day about 5-6 months ago I hit a pin wrong and she hasn't voluntarily let me give her head rubs since. Talk about holding a grudge ...

-NG

#2 ·
They say misting or bathing helps. My pip will let me help him but my fingers are big and there are usually ones that are ready next to ones that aren't so I just let him go for the most part. I do give him scratches but I just rub his feathers back and forth for the most part unless I can see one that is ready and can get to it easy. He also uses his bell on his swing to rub against.

If you have a humidity gauge and humidifier make sure to keep it between 40-60% and try to get them to take a bath or mist them with a spray bottle if you can it is supposed to help.

#3 ·
Right! I should've mentioned more details. I do spritz the birds weekly with the misty squirt bottle and lukewarm water. Luna tolerates it, and the other single bird, a linnie relatively new to my my flock, is still terrified of any water outside the drinking cup! Our indoor humidity averages around 40% this time of year, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more. Over the summer it averages about 50% with the dehumidifier.

#4 ·
Jules was bad at bathing. I used to have to go through a ritual every week to get her to bathe that got both of us very wet. Got her a table top fountain to increase the room humidity and now is on it more than not.

#5 ·
Have you tried beak rubs and under beak rubs? Sometimes Jules get stubborn about head scritches but if I start with beak rubs, under beak rubs and face rubs soon she just melts and demands head scritches.

#7 ·
This might sound terrible to some bird owners but I don't give my birds or any creature in my care the option to reject my affection and their need for me to be able to handle them to do their grooming including beaks, toes and pins for the birds.. I have never had a bird, cat, dog, horse or fish that I did not bond with on day one. They do not have an option to dismiss me given that I am their only caretaker, provider, mom, doctor, chef nutritionist, groomer, cleaner, entertainer and best friend. Consequently, I expect them to allow me full access and they do. I am the boss of them and they cooperate whether they like it or not. For these reasons, they love it and love me. They are not the boss; be assertive in a loving and confident manner and quietly explain to them what you are doing and that everything will be alright.

#9 ·
See, I do give my pets the option to reject me being hands on unless it's a medical necessity.

Just because I can't touch Kingston with my hands doesn't mean he doesn't get affection. He'll sit on my chest and sing away. It doesn't mean we aren't bonded. If I go away for a while, when I come home, he snuggles right in and tells me what I missed.

I just don't believe in forcing myself on animals if they aren't interested. Especially birds who aren't really meant to be in captivity.

I'd rather go with the personality of the pet and respect their boundaries. All creatures are unique in their preferences.

#10 ·
To touch or not to touch.....that is the question!

Littlehuck- your method is usually a good method. I had to touch many anti-human liking birds in my lifetime. In every case, the difficult bird bonded with me right away. Holding onto the bird, not grabbing in a harsh way, is sometimes needed to get the bird over the instinctive fear of hands.

I had a budgie that was sick the first week I had him. He hated me to no end, but I had to administer liquid medicine to him. I grabbed him ever so gently and gave him his medicine as directed. On the third day, he openly allowed me to hold him in my hand. He bonded right after that.

There was a forum member who tried for over 6 months to get their bird to step up and it never stepped up until she got fed up and gently grabbed her bird a couple of times. It worked! The bird began to bond. It can work, but we need to try other ways first.

My first cousin learned to jump from a plane. The first time, he refused because he had a doubt in his mind. The next weekend, he did make that first jump and he has made thousands since. He overcame the instinctive fear on the second day. Maybe this is why some p'letts refuse to bond until they are forced or they face being held.

I had many budgies who wouldn't bond until I held onto them a few times.Then, they were the best friends! You have to be careful! It might not work!

David and Ricochet

#14 ·
Thank you, David for your kindness and understanding about my hands on interaction with the birds. I had a long history with training and endurance racing and companionship with horses and to me it is the same as the birds except they are just a wee bit smaller. I had to do a daily head to toe and everything in between because my horses would get ticks from the trail and tiny pebbles in their frog. If you didn't catch and take it out they could go lame. My touching was the loveline and lifeline to all my animal companions. Funny thing is that they demand my attention and in the barn all the horses would vie for my attention. The physical contact gives them comfort and more confidence in life
enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSGbDu1BjY&list=WL&index=26&t=0s

#11 ·
Yes I can hold onto and "man handle" (lol!) all of my birds without damaging our relationships in the least. Even the newest guy. But they still don't enjoy it too much, more just toleration, so I prefer to keep it for essential things like nails, etc. Is clearing the pins when they can't essential? hmmm.... but I will start with the beak rubs and see where it leads. The linnie will be a really tough sell as in general the species does not like to be groomed by the human touch (there are plenty of exceptions for sure though!). Luna the p'let should be more receptive.

Thanks for all the replies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.