Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Favorite nail grooming perch?

857 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Anya 
#1 ·
Do you have a nail grooming perch that actually works to keep the sharp tips blunted? I have a grooming perch that Luna spends a decent amount of time on, but it doesn't seem to help with her sharp tips. The exact same perch works very well for my linnies though. So I'm not sure if it's a weight difference that affects it, or it it's just a wrong style for a p'let. Either way, what do you use that's effective?

-NG

#2 ·
HI~~

There was a lady that I knew here in Orlando when Bogie was young and we called her " The Parrotlet Lady . " I have talked about her before. I asked her one time, " What kind of perch is the best to help Bogie keep his toe nails blunted a little bit? " She said not to buy sandpaper perches or fiberglass perches, but I should make sure I have a variety of wooden perch sizes in Bogie's cage. She said that different sizes are good for their foot health and it helps keep the sharp nails in check. Different sized perches are like the branches and limbs in the wild.

We really shouldn't clip toe nails, but sometimes we have to. Let a vet do it or someone you can trust.;)

Dave:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Parrotlets do not need their toenails clipped unless they have a medical issue. As David mentioned, please do not use sandpaper perches. They are rough on their feet and promote bumblefoot.

I have something similar to this and it is his favorite perch. I do not know exactly what brand and model it is though ->
https://www.mybirdstore.com/GROOMING_PERCHES-Baby_MD_Pastel_Pedicure_Perches_-_Polly_s__1.html

I also have this, but my bird does not use that perch a lot since he prefers one side of his cage more ->
https://www.mybirdstore.com/GROOMING_PERCHES-Paradise_Sit_and_Groom_Perch_Small_6_inch.html

#5 ·
I guess I’m lucky, I don’t need one for my bird – she’s good at keeping her nails short on her own. I have heard good and bad things about grooming perches, and my one concern about them is if that much abrasiveness would take a toll on your bird’s feet after a while, especially if they used it frequently.

I’d be scared to trim my bird’s nails in case I cut too far back and hit the quick, which is a blood vessel that runs down the middle of your birds nails. If you cut too far back it will cause bleeding and is painful for your bird. I learned about the quick from years of grooming my own dogs.

#6 ·
Thanks! Ya her nails definitely are not long or anything, the tip is right there by her quick (she has the clearish nails so you can easily see). It's just that they get so sharp they poke right through my clothes and it hurts to have her anywhere on me :( It'd be nice to not have the acupuncture!

Right now the ineffective grooming perch is situated where she walks across it often. It's a biway, not a main perching perch. But, it is a uniform shape so maybe I should try one of the wavy shaped ones.

Thanks!

#8 ·
I use perches made by sweet feet and beak. They are smooth where the foot sits and rough where the nails are. You of course have to get the right size but with parrotlets that's easy because it's the smallest. All of my birds are drawn to these perches. They have their own website or sell them on Amazon. I think its sweetfeetandbeaks.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.