Talk Parrotlets Forums

Talk Parrotlets Forums (https://www.talkparrotlets.com/forum.php)
-   Parrotlet Talk (https://www.talkparrotlets.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ~~~~Bogie's Published Life-2009~~~~ (https://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=87447)

David Miller 05-21-2020 10:27 PM

~~~~Bogie's Published Life-2009~~~~

Surprise!
I mentioned years ago in this forum that I had several stories published about Humphrey Bogart Miller I ( DOH-09-09-2008).
Each story was about 3,000 words long and every story I sent into the magazine, they published! The President of The Exotic Bird Society Of America called me in 2009 and said that they didn't have to edit a single word and that he wanted me to send in all the stories I could write! My fee was diverted to the Exotic Bird Society of America's animal and animal education charities. The magazine was read by people who were members of the Exotic Bird Society.

Some parts of these stories were used in the book I am completing about Bogie.

I am going to write in some excerpts from that first published story. If my fingers will work for me tonight, I will get the complete entry for you. If I have trouble, I will write more tomorrow.( I can't feel my hands right now, so here goes)....

Bogart, The Parrotlet ( AKA ' Bogie ' )

Humphrey Bogart Miller I, is my nine month old parrotlet ( dwarf parrot) who is 5 and one half inches long and has a parrot beak. He thinks he is a two foot long Amazon parrot, who happens to be his direct cousin. Bogart, or Bogie for his nick name, has a hand crafted sign hanging on his cage titled, " Mr. Bogie ". Believe me when I tell you, he has earned the title of " Mr. " !
I have raised budgies before, but a parrotlet is a species all to itself. There is no other small bird like a parrotlet! Bogie is the most amazing part of my family. I really don't think he knows he is a bird!

My wife and I are members of this society and last October, we purchased Bogie from Precious Parrotlets. We went to the Exotic bird show a couple of times before we decided to get a parrotlet. We had talked to one of the breeders from Precious Parrotlets whom we got to know during those visits to several shows during the year of 2008. So, in October, we decided to get a parrotlet from them.

Bogie didn't cost me a dime! Before we went to the October show, I made a wood burning of a parrotlet on a tree branch and colored him with colored oil pencils. I made an easel to put the burning on and I presented it to the breeder whom we wanted to puchase a parrotlet from.

We spent quite a long time visiting the lady selling parrotlets. We saw one male bird in particular who kept coming over to me and my wife. All other parrotlets stayed away from us, so we, I mean he picked us, for sure. When we asked for a price, she refused to take money from us because I had brought her the wood burning!
I told her it was a gift from me because she educated us all about the parrotlet during those earlier show visits. I tried to give her some money, but she refused it.(So, I did slip her husband a twenty dollar bill).

We put Bogie in our travel cage and purchased all the food, plus toys, etc., for our little guy. Little did we know, that on October 26th, 2008, we invested in a little green, very healthy piece of dynamite who has become one of the most fascinating creatures God has ever put on the face of this earth! He got his name when my wife and I went out to AppleBee's restaurant to eat dinner that evening..........
Comments, anyone?????

( to be continued tomorrow, so stay tuned for, " How Bogie got his name" plus, " How he picked his place to put his cage'! )...........

Stay Safe!

David:cool:

Bigboy 05-22-2020 07:41 PM

Fabulous story. You do know that there is a "new" verb BOGART. I got this info from the Merriam Webster Dictionary.

bogart verb

bo·​gart | \ ˈbō-ˌgärt \
bogarted; bogarting; bogarts
Definition of bogart (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
1 : BULLY sense 2
2 : to use or consume without sharing
Bogart biographical name
Bo·​gart | \ ˈbō-ˌgärt \
Definition of Bogart (Entry 2 of 2)
Humphrey (DeForest) 1899–1957 American actor

Synonyms for bogart
Synonyms: Verb
blackjack, browbeat, bulldoze, bully, bullyrag, cow, hector, intimidate, mau-mau, strong-arm

Did You Know?
The legendary film actor Humphrey Bogart was known for playing a range of tough characters in a series of films throughout the 1940s and 1950s, including The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and The African Queen. The men he portrayed often possessed a cool, hardened exterior that occasionally let forth a suggestion of romantic or idealistic sentimentality. Bogart also had a unique method of smoking cigarettes in these pictures - letting the butt dangle from his mouth without removing it until it was almost entirely consumed. It is believed that this habit inspired the current meaning of "bogart," which was once limited to the phrase "Don't bogart that joint [marijuana cigarette]," as popularized by a song on the soundtrack to the film Easy Rider, among other things. Today "bogart" can be applied to hogging almost anything.
Examples of bogart in a Sentence
Verb
his friends tried to bogart him into doing the right thing and marrying the girl

First Known Use of bogart
Verb
1965, in the meaning defined at sense 1
History and Etymology for bogart
Verb
probably from Humphrey Bogart †1957 American film actor

The first known use of bogart was in 1965

David Miller 05-22-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigboy (Post 1034469)
Fabulous story. You do know that there is a "new" verb BOGART. I got this info from the Merriam Webster Dictionary.

bogart verb

bo·​gart | \ ˈbō-ˌgärt \
bogarted; bogarting; bogarts
Definition of bogart (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
1 : BULLY sense 2
2 : to use or consume without sharing
Bogart biographical name
Bo·​gart | \ ˈbō-ˌgärt \
Definition of Bogart (Entry 2 of 2)
Humphrey (DeForest) 1899–1957 American actor

Synonyms for bogart
Synonyms: Verb
blackjack, browbeat, bulldoze, bully, bullyrag, cow, hector, intimidate, mau-mau, strong-arm

Did You Know?
The legendary film actor Humphrey Bogart was known for playing a range of tough characters in a series of films throughout the 1940s and 1950s, including The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and The African Queen. The men he portrayed often possessed a cool, hardened exterior that occasionally let forth a suggestion of romantic or idealistic sentimentality. Bogart also had a unique method of smoking cigarettes in these pictures - letting the butt dangle from his mouth without removing it until it was almost entirely consumed. It is believed that this habit inspired the current meaning of "bogart," which was once limited to the phrase "Don't bogart that joint [marijuana cigarette]," as popularized by a song on the soundtrack to the film Easy Rider, among other things. Today "bogart" can be applied to hogging almost anything.
Examples of bogart in a Sentence
Verb
his friends tried to bogart him into doing the right thing and marrying the girl

First Known Use of bogart
Verb
1965, in the meaning defined at sense 1
History and Etymology for bogart
Verb
probably from Humphrey Bogart †1957 American film actor

The first known use of bogart was in 1965

Wow! You really got into it. Humphrey Bogart was my hero in the movies you mentioned. The picture I saw in the restaurant was a close-up of his face and his cigarette was hanging out of his mouth, just as you described.
He died of heart failure. He organized a party at his home and during the party, he got tired. He went up stairs to get rest. A few minutes later, he called for someone to carry him back down to the party. He didn't want to miss anything. He had a heart attack and died. This is one account of how he died. I saw his story on TV . He was 59.
In real life, he was a really nice person. He helped many young starts get their chance at the big time. Word is that his baby picture was the original picture on the Gerber baby food jars! Yes, that's him!

I never checked into these facts for their validity. I saw it on a Bio about his life.

That is interesting information you discovered. Every one of those descriptive words ( synonyms) described a parrotlet to some degree. There's even an official word " bogey " used in golfing!

You've heard in this forum many times about how people named their p'lett. Many people said that they didn't name their bird until they determined their personality. I think I named Bogie properly. He even died young, like Bogart, but my Bogie did not smoke or drink!

" Here's looking at you, Kid! " ( quote by Bogart).