Talk Parrotlets Forums

Talk Parrotlets Forums (https://www.talkparrotlets.com/forum.php)
-   Parrotlet Articles (https://www.talkparrotlets.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Renovating kitchen (https://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=86929)

Miss Mary 11-15-2019 10:56 PM

Renovating kitchen

Hi everyone. Sometime in January we are having our kitchen renovated. While the walls will remain we will be having the drop ceiling removed and the ceiling above ripped out and replaced. We will be removing and replacing all the lighting, cabinets, appliances, floor, doors, and windows. The kitchen will be sealed off from the rest of the house and the contractors will use only the side door which is off the kitchen. They said the job should take 6 weeks but I honestly believe it is going to take a lot longer. I am very concerned for Kai’s well being and am not sure what the best thing to do is. I can’t put him in the basement as it is unheated. My first floor has a dinning room off the kitchen which is where I have Kai’s large cage. Off the dining room straight ahead is the living room. Just an archway separates the two rooms. There is also a small hallway off the dinning room closer to the kitchen. Off that hallway is a bathroom, a small TV room where I keep Kai’s smaller cage, and a small bedroom. They all have doors. There is also a staircase (which also has a door) that leads to an upstairs open den, 3 upstairs bedrooms with doors and 1 bathroom. I am wondering if Kai would be safe in one of the upstairs bedrooms? My only other option would be to let a family member keep him for me till the work is completed but the thought of him being away for so long is upsetting to me. I would love to keep him upstairs if he would be safe. All replies are welcome especially from anyone who has been in this situation.

laracroft 11-15-2019 11:04 PM

I think the upstairs bedroom should be safe for most of the six weeks (or longer). What I would be most worried about is when they're painting and such, I have no idea how much that scent would carry. So I would think you can keep him with you for most of it and only send him to a family member's when they're painting. But I'd really like someone with more home reno experience to chime in, since I haven't lived in a place where extensive work was being done since before Micah so I'm not 100% sure of this.

lindav 11-16-2019 11:52 AM

Is semi-gloss paint safe enough for a bird?

Personally, I would relocate my bird until the work is done and rooms are aired out of all smells.

David Miller 11-16-2019 08:36 PM

Miss Mary,
You are facing a challenge, for sure. The paint, plaster, drywall mix, glues, liquid nails, cleaning products, etc. will be used in the description you gave.

Plus, the noise factor, vibration, music blasting, etc., will permeate throughout the home . It would help if you were there with your Kai.
Upstairs will be fine, as long as you use a heavy cloth to cover the bottoms of the door. Fumes will rise.
There are paints that can be used that will help when used around pets. DO NOT USE OIL BASED PAINTS!!! PERIOD. This would be a death sentence for your bird. Also, DO NOT USE ACETONE'S when cleaning tools, unless it is outside.

What kind of countertops are you having installed, if any? If Formica, they use a strong glue for an adhesive. Most cabinet makers glue the cabinets and countertops in their shop, but fumes will be around after installation.

New carpeting? Be careful. New wood flooring? Be very careful!

Here is what I suggest for you to do, if I were you:

You must determine the type of glues, paints ( must have a low VOC), and cleaners that the contractor will use. If your kitchen will be sealed off like you said, find out how. They will probably put up a visqueen ( a polyethylene plastic type product) sheeting by taping it to the ceiling, walls and floor to make a complete seal. I would put up this visqueen barrier in the upstairs hallway that leads to the room where Kai will be kept. You can leave an area along the wall un-taped so you can pass around it.

Paints to use that have safe VOC's for birds: Benjamin Moore Aura and Natura Paints.
Bioshield Clay and Casein pints are Powder Based paints made of natural clay.
Sherwin Williams Harmony paints.

Green Planet paints

Old fashioned Milk paints

There are a few more. Several of these can be purchased at Lowe's.

These are suggestions only! Kai can be with you at home. You can move him to another location, too. But, I wouldn't leave him alone upstairs for very long. Visit him often if you put him upstairs.

Dave:cool:

PeggyK 11-20-2019 12:54 PM

Miss Mary, I just renovated my kitchen and two bathrooms. They were all gutted so everything you mentioned was done here. I live in a bilevel so the bedrooms and bathrooms are all on the same floor. I moved Corbys cage to the room farthest away depending on where they were working. So Corbys location changed frequently. I kept the door closed to whatever room Corby was in and if I felt there were fumes I covered his cage.
The kitchen and both bathrooms are now finished and I am happy and relieved to say All is well!! Corby did great!
I still have a bit more more work to be done in other areas of the house but nothing as big as what we just did. To be honest, Corby didn’t seem too troubled with the noise which actually surprised me as my house is generally very quiet.
I hope all goes as well for you! I think you will be fine!

ozzie3860 11-20-2019 01:27 PM

This is a concern of ours. We are about to do a remodel on our upper level. I am seriously thinking about sending Jules to moms for the duration but not sure I can be away from her that long.

Miss Mary 11-20-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Miller (Post 1029009)
Miss Mary,
You are facing a challenge, for sure. The paint, plaster, drywall mix, glues, liquid nails, cleaning products, etc. will be used in the description you gave.

Plus, the noise factor, vibration, music blasting, etc., will permeate throughout the home . It would help if you were there with your Kai.
Upstairs will be fine, as long as you use a heavy cloth to cover the bottoms of the door. Fumes will rise.
There are paints that can be used that will help when used around pets. DO NOT USE OIL BASED PAINTS!!! PERIOD. This would be a death sentence for your bird. Also, DO NOT USE ACETONE'S when cleaning tools, unless it is outside.

What kind of countertops are you having installed, if any? If Formica, they use a strong glue for an adhesive. Most cabinet makers glue the cabinets and countertops in their shop, but fumes will be around after installation.

New carpeting? Be careful. New wood flooring? Be very careful!

Here is what I suggest for you to do, if I were you:

You must determine the type of glues, paints ( must have a low VOC), and cleaners that the contractor will use. If your kitchen will be sealed off like you said, find out how. They will probably put up a visqueen ( a polyethylene plastic type product) sheeting by taping it to the ceiling, walls and floor to make a complete seal. I would put up this visqueen barrier in the upstairs hallway that leads to the room where Kai will be kept. You can leave an area along the wall un-taped so you can pass around it.

Paints to use that have safe VOC's for birds: Benjamin Moore Aura and Natura Paints.
Bioshield Clay and Casein pints are Powder Based paints made of natural clay.
Sherwin Williams Harmony paints.

Green Planet paints

Old fashioned Milk paints

There are a few more. Several of these can be purchased at Lowe's.

These are suggestions only! Kai can be with you at home. You can move him to another location, too. But, I wouldn't leave him alone upstairs for very long. Visit him often if you put him upstairs.

Dave[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

Hi Dave. Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. To be honest I am still not sure whether I will keep Kai here or let my daughter take him. It’s a long time for him to be away from me and I am afraid he might not bond back with me. Unfortunately I would not be able to spend much time with him if he is away because I have a very sick pup (12 years with kidney failure) who needs lots of daily medications and a daily IV drip. I also wouldn’t want to have contractors in my home and not be here. Other concerns are that my daughter rents the second floor of a home. While I know she will go out of her way for Kai’s safety by putting her heat up and not using her essential oils plus Kai loves her, I have no idea what fumes may rise upward from the downstairs tenets. I would have no control. I have spoken to our contractor and the kitchen will be sealed off. There is a door at the bottom of the staircase going upstairs which also can be sealed as you suggested with a bedroom door. My upstairs goes in a full circle. By that I mean there is no hallway. At the top of the stairs is an open den. To the left is a doorway that leads to a bedroom, doorway and another bedroom, doorway and the bathroom, doorway and another bedroom, doorway and back to the open den. My bedroom is mostly over the kitchen so my thought was to maybe put Kai in the bedroom on the opposite side. Not sure if the first bedroom off the den or the second one behind the first and off the bathroom. If I keep Kai at home I will definitely be practically living upstairs. I know he would be terribly lonely and not feeling very secured. The paint being used is Benjamin Moore and they are using silicone for the countertop. Not sure about the porcelain tile floor yet. I can’t begin to tell you how concerned and worried I am. I want to do what is safe for Kai. So sorry for the long quote. Again thank you. I will keep you posted.

Miss Mary 11-20-2019 01:47 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by laracroft (Post 1028979)
I think the upstairs bedroom should be safe for most of the six weeks (or longer). What I would be most worried about is when they're painting and such, I have no idea how much that scent would carry. So I would think you can keep him with you for most of it and only send him to a family member's when they're painting. But I'd really like someone with more home reno experience to chime in, since I haven't lived in a place where extensive work was being done since before Micah so I'm not 100% sure of this.

Thank you for your reply. I have considered keeping Kai at home for some of the time and maybe letting him stay with my daughter in the later part of the renovation. I am very nervous and have concerns with both decisions. I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration. Thank you so much. I will update.

Miss Mary 11-20-2019 02:11 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzie3860 (Post 1029075)
This is a concern of ours. We are about to do a remodel on our upper level. I am seriously thinking about sending Jules to moms for the duration but not sure I can be away from her that long.

That is part of my concern about sending Kai elsewhere. Although it is a small kitchen I really doubt that the work will be completed in six weeks. My daughter rents the second floor of a home and while I know she will go out of her way to keep Kai safe I am worried about any fumes from the downstairs apartment. Regarding your situation I was told that when it comes to fumes go down not up. Fumes and gases rise. If you are doing your upper level is there a safe place on the lower level you could keep your bird? My basement is mostly finished but cluttered with storage and not heated so there is no way I can go down. My only option is to go up. Down is safer. Watch the replies I get. I always find the members of this forum give excellent advice which is very helpful in helping me raise a healthy and happy bird.

Just saw this. Please read PEGGY K’s reply to me. You will feel better.

Miss Mary 11-20-2019 02:19 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeggyK (Post 1029059)
Miss Mary, I just renovated my kitchen and two bathrooms. They were all gutted so everything you mentioned was done here. I live in a bilevel so the bedrooms and bathrooms are all on the same floor. I moved Corbys cage to the room farthest away depending on where they were working. So Corbys location changed frequently. I kept the door closed to whatever room Corby was in and if I felt there were fumes I covered his cage.
The kitchen and both bathrooms are now finished and I am happy and relieved to say All is well!! Corby did great!
I still have a bit more more work to be done in other areas of the house but nothing as big as what we just did. To be honest, Corby didn’t seem too troubled with the noise which actually surprised me as my house is generally very quiet.
I hope all goes as well for you! I think you will be fine!

I can’t thank you enough for your reply. I can’t tell you how concerned and worried I am and to hear from someone who went through the same renovations (we are having our two bathrooms done in the fall) we are going to have done helps more then you know. I am so happy to hear that Corby is doing just fine. Thank you. I will give updates.