Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Biting

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1397 times.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
divasmom

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

divasmom is on a distinguished road

Biting

I have a 11 month old blue female. I love her so much. Everyday I try to get her out of her cage when i get home and spend time with her. She will regurdgetate(if thats how you spell it) like she is feeding me then a second later, bite me. She will ride on my shoulder all over the house and never fly off. If I put her on top of her cage to play and I walk away she will fly directly to my shoulder. She acts like she is really bonded to me but I can not get her to quit biting me when I am holding her in my hands or on my finger. Why do you think she is doing this and how can I get her to stop? I blow in her facr and that seems to make her more mad and she bites me more. Can anyone help me?
divasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
Parrotletluvr35

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Parrotletluvr35 is on a distinguished road

Hi Divasmom! Parrotlets are very nippy by nature. I have 2 males and went through the same thing. My 1 year old male still nips at times especially when hes tired or in a mood. As soon as I raise my voice though and say, NO BITES! he stops. Sometimes, blowing in there face does not work. I tried it and it didn't work for me either. What worked better for me was shaking my hand so he would get off balance. I think they call this "Earth Shake". When I did this I would say, NO BITES! firmly. Also, sometimes I would put my parrotlet on the floor for a few seconds then pick him up. Parrotlets don't like to be on ground level it scares them because they are prey animals. Once I did this he behaved beautifully. This may work for your little girl and it may not. All parrotlets are different, but hey what do you got to lose right?? : )
Parrotletluvr35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like she is very bonded to you. I would discourage the regurgitating. Shoulder time is a privilege... so my guys only get it when they're behaving well, otherwise, off they go.

What do you mean "holding her in my hands"? If you're cupping her or surrounding her body with your hands, she may not like and most birds don't (it makes them feel vulnerable because they can't escape and that's what a predator could do). If she's biting the finger that she's sitting on, the earthquake method works for me. Otherwise, it sounds like she's fully flighted and it seems like fully flighted birds are brats, so they tend to act out more. You may want to trim her wings to see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
divasmom

divasmom is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I have heard that clipping their wings can make a big difference because a flighted bird is more nippy. I did not think that something that simple and wierd could make a difference but I have heard it here on the forum as well as in a book I bought about Parrotlets. The blowing in the face definitely does not work so I will definitely try the earthquake method and see if thats better. How do I discourage the regurgitating? Kind of gross LOL.
divasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the rough

I usually put my guys back in their cage or stand and ignore them.

Of all my birds, I have only one male (who could care less that I'm alive) and since I've had 2 females that have laid eggs in the past, when they start regurgitating, I take steps to discourage further issues that may lead to egg laying. I restrict the amount of food that they get, less interaction from me, make sure that they get at least 12 hours of night/dark time, make sure that there aren't any toys in their cage that they're overly attached to (especially mirrors!), and basically ignore and put them away if they are overly affectionate to me. Also, no petting beyond the head.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Jayprosser

Parrotlets Owned: One

Jayprosser is on a distinguished road

my husband likes to stick his finger in our birds cage and let the bird bite at it, I have tried to tell him that it is not a good habit as one of the grandkids might get bit one day but he seems to think it's okay. Can you tell me if he is allowing the bird to develop a bad habit that he will later regret?
Jayprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
edward

Parrotlets Owned: One

edward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayprosser View Post
my husband likes to stick his finger in our birds cage and let the bird bite at it, I have tried to tell him that it is not a good habit as one of the grandkids might get bit one day but he seems to think it's okay. Can you tell me if he is allowing the bird to develop a bad habit that he will later regret?
It sounds like he is training the bird to bite a finger when it gets near him, not a vey good idea. Your husband may not mind the sensation of being bit but it could cause someone to get hurt, even the bird as when bitten most people will yank their hands away quickly which could hurt the bird too. I would "nip" this practise in the bud if I were you, it seems to defeat whatever training you are doing with your bird.

ed
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Sara!

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Sara! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'd say that this isn't the greatest idea... I sometimes "playfight" with Navi but as soon as she bites hard then the game is over. I think that your husband might be positively reinforcing the biting by doing this, which will definitely encourage your bird to bite.

My twitter!
Sara! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Sally

Parrotlets Owned: one

Sally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not nice to do. I would ask him to stop.

Diva's Mom, sometimes they just don't want to be held on the finger. They prefer to be on your shoulder or near you. Do you have a good playgym to put near you when you sit and watch TV or read, etc?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Parrotletluvr35

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Parrotletluvr35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree with the rest of the posts on here. Not a good idea. Your encouraging your bird to bite and he thinks this is okay. He is going to develope very bad habits by being allowed to do this. The only thing I allow my male parrotlet to do is put his beak near the bars so I can stroke it which he enjoys. Other then that I don't allow him to bite my finger through the bars. He use to but I put an end to that. : )
Parrotletluvr35 is offline   Reply With Quote