Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

average life span?

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4522 times.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
bandresen

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

bandresen is on a distinguished road

average life span?

My parrotlet is 7 yrs.old. What are folks finding to be the average life span of the parrotlets? I almost hate to ask. I want this little guy around for a long time!
bandresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
mike7396

Parrotlets Owned: 50
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

mike7396 is on a distinguished road

they say the average life span is around 10-15 years, however i have seen websites say 20-30 which is highly unlikely and most likely bogus. Personally i had a parrotlet that lived exactly 10 years and recently passed due to a move and he just couldnt handle the stress of my move. :-( but yea i would have to side with the 10-15 year mark. Good luck, and hope he lives long. They are definatly great companions.
mike7396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
enborgle

enborgle is on a distinguished road

I think mike is on the right track with 10-15 - we have had two around the forum lately who have lived to 12 and others who are still kicking around the same age. Most parrotlets die prematurely due to accident or injury due to their size and delicate nature - for this reason we don't see as many that live out their true life span.
enborgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
bandresen

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

bandresen is on a distinguished road

thank you so much! what may I ask are you feeding your birds? this parrotlet has lived mostly with my daughter since she graduated and moved but I keep him for months at a time. We are very bonded. I know he needs more than the 90% cockatiel seed diet he is on. I am presently cooking him a mixture of quinoa, lentils, adding small amt. of winter squash, broccoli, and a touch of powdered kelp and ground flax seed. Sound okay?
He LOVES a tiny bit of cheese now and then. Think that is okay?? I give him egg and chicken on occasion, which he loves...
bandresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Flugmeister
Banned

Experience: Parrotlet Expert

Flugmeister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandresen View Post
thank you so much! what may I ask are you feeding your birds? this parrotlet has lived mostly with my daughter since she graduated and moved but I keep him for months at a time. We are very bonded. I know he needs more than the 90% cockatiel seed diet he is on. I am presently cooking him a mixture of quinoa, lentils, adding small amt. of winter squash, broccoli, and a touch of powdered kelp and ground flax seed. Sound okay?
He LOVES a tiny bit of cheese now and then. Think that is okay?? I give him egg and chicken on occasion, which he loves...
I recommend you get him some Volkman Avian Super Science Parrotlet seed mix. It is the very best you can buy for your bird and even Volkman recommends that it be supplemented with fresh foods. The extras you are feeding are fine, try a bit of apple.

I do not believe that a parrotlet cannot go twenty. I had a budgerigar that was 12 and the oldest bird on TalkBudgies until he met with an unfortunate accident. A parrotlet is significantly more sophisticated and intelligent, so I fully expect mine to get parrot life-expectancy.
Flugmeister is offline   Reply With Quote