Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Best diet for parrotlets?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1662 times.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
kdcoakley

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

kdcoakley is on a distinguished road

Best diet for parrotlets?

Alright so I want to be as prepared as possible before my bird arrives this June and since I am a big believer in the fact that health starts with optimum nutrition, I really want to establish a good diet plan before she arrives. Since I have only owned cockatiels and budgies before, parrotlet nutrition is new territory for me. I have read that unlike cockatiels/budgies, they can eat seeds regularly without the threat of obesity or fatty liver disease. I have also read they need their fruits and veggies on a daily basis. So basically I'd just like to get your opinions about the optimum diet for a parrotlet Thanks a bunch!!
kdcoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Pado

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Pado is on a distinguished road

Kdcoakley - Here is the link to the diet section it will give you an idea of what others feed their Fids.
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Here is a Link that may be of help - its to a Thread on what other members feed their birds:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=1812

Also search through some of chapala's posts - she has some really good posts on diet - here is one for example:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showpo...98&postcount=3

They all basically recommend a varied diet: but it will give you an idea of what that includes for different folks -
Pado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
kdcoakley

kdcoakley is on a distinguished road

Thanks Pado... guess I must have missed that section of the forum
kdcoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
chapala

Parrotlets Owned: 1

chapala is on a distinguished road

I prefer a lower fat grain mix with a few seeds to a higher fat all seed mix. Good grains include quinoa, red and white millet, oat groats, hulless barley, wheat/spelt/kamut berries. Even better if you soak them overnight, drain, rinse and feed in the morning and/or continue to sprout for another 12 to 24 hours. Seeds that can be added especially for soaked or sprouted mixes (lowers the fat content) include canary seed (fairly low fat), and hulled sunflower seed (I only feed this soaked and/or sprouted, not in the dry mix).

Most important of all is the fresh vegetables including lots of nutrient dense vegetables like kale, collard, mustard greens, broccoli, bok choy, dandelion greens, and others like finely grated (or lightly cooked) carrots, steamed sweet potatoes, raw chili peppers. Other vegetables can be fed also, but in smaller quantities - chayote, zucchini, celery, dark leaf lettuce, peas, cabbage, carrot tops, beet.

They may prefer to eat nothing but seed, but it is possible to get them eating a healthy diet. Cello's former owner gave up and told me he just didn't eat vegetables, that she had tried and tried, so he got nothing but seed. He was eating vegetables (food processed to a fine mix, and stirred up with sprouted grains and legumes) after a fairly short time here. He also is eating mango, papaya and banana but only if I chop it fine and stir it in. Big pieces look strange to him I guess!

Read about diet, and ask questions. We are glad to help. I also recommend Feeding Feathers, a Yahoo forum devoted to feeding parrots a mostly fresh food diet.
Reta
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
gina729

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

gina729 is on a distinguished road

Hi again - Thanks to all for the words of advice...Yesterday morning I saw a bloody stool...Then it went away...Called the vet again...still waiting to hear if there is a yeast infection as well...but i doubt it...He is doing better and has starting chirping again and flying here and there..i am encouraging him to walk aroung a little for me (as he follows me like a baby...good excercise too!

he is sooo stubborn and i have to keep trying new things as he still has a few seed sprinkled into his multitude of pellets (every brand that there is )and he picks out all the little seeds and spits out the pellets! too much! occasionally, he will eat a pellet or two..he has taken to my homemade chicken soup, which i feed every two hours or so..he probably has at least two tbls. a day of that...today he had tomato soup! loved it too! so i will try soups now too...he also had some pastina today, but maybe three tiny pieces...

my husband is getting used to having him at the table again! except when he poops...my 5 year old son LOVES it!

tell me more about the sprouted seeds and where to get them????

he is a real trouper and is hanging in there for me i know! he has been sick since May when he was near death and i refused to leave him at the vets, sure he would die without me...he has come a long way, i just pray that i can get him better...i would sure miss him curling up into my palm at night and his little chirps of 'who's mommy's big boy bird!!!'

please everyone, heed this warning and get your birds off the seeds and onto table food and pellets with an occasionally seed thrown in here and there! who knew!

gina : ) and bbb

Last edited by gina729; 09-17-2008 at 02:49 PM.
gina729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
chapala

Parrotlets Owned: 1

chapala is on a distinguished road

Gina, please look at my post just above yours - from last April. I mention the names of grains you can buy from a natural foods or other grocery store with bulk bins. These would be ideal for your guy, and should be offered without dry seed or pellets. I would try to get him off dry seed completely and onto sprouted grains/seed. There are other threads that mention sprouting methods if you do a search. When he's eating the sprouts well, then you can try mixing in a littlbe bit of very finely chopped or food processed leafy green vegetables (most nutritious). I mention several vegetables in the post above.

Good luck with your little guy!
Reta
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
lily

lily is on a distinguished road

Reta is so right! The sprouted seeds and grains look familiar enough to the bird that they are willing to try them, and if you mix the finely chopped veggies into them, the bird will soon be eating an excellent diet. Mine was converted in one day after I tossed a pinch of seed onto the mix to get her attention. This probably would not have been necessary if I had removed her food from the cage at bed time so that she would be hungry in the morning, and so, eat the more desirable diet. Lots of the members here do that, offering the veggies and sprouts first thing in the morning.

Sprouting is a snap. I put the seeds in a fine nylon mesh strainer after they have soaked overnight, and leave them in it to make rinsing easy. During the day, I run more fresh water through the strainer whenever they look dry. Wheat berries and hulled, raw, sunflower seeds are not expensive and sprout quickly, if you are nervous about getting started. Throw them on your own cereal and salads, too. You can have a supply of raw greens and sprouts at the table for the bird so he can enjoy dining with you. Additionally, you can put a few leaves (even fresh, unsprayed dandelion leaves from your yard) into a tiny vase of water so they look like a plant, and fix a perch near it to make it convenient for PPP to chew on them.

Don't be discouraged if your bird doesn't dive into a new food. Offer it every day, and he will soon get familiar enough with it to try it.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy browsing old threads on diets!
lily is offline   Reply With Quote