Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Notices

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

Breeding Information?

This thread has 67 replies and has been viewed 2706 times.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
sugar.skulls

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

sugar.skulls is on a distinguished road

Breeding Information?

I came across this, while reading on Sandees' site..

The next thing to avoid is breeding the same visual color mutation to one another. An example would be to breed a blue mutation to another blue mutation. While this is acceptable with other types of color mutation birds, parrotlets have not been bred long enough to eliminate genetic flaws with this type of breeding. This type of pairing can produce a variety of congenital and/or genetic problems such as low fertility, infertility, high instances of dead in shell embryos, smaller clutches, abnormally sized chicks, higher chick mortality rates, failure to thrive, offspring with weakened immune systems, abnormal feathers, birth defects and lethal genes.

I'm not a breeder, I really don't understand breeding to be honest. Well to the extent of being a "good breeder"...A "quality breeder"...There's a lot a person needs to know...But, I am just bored and ended up on this page of her site...I kind of ended up lost in the information...

A color mutation, would be something like a pied, or albino, right? My last handfed parrotlet came from mom and dad birds both being green. Are you not suppose to breed two greens together? My current p'let came from mom (blue) and dad (green). What if you wanted to breed a blue to a blue...Not a pastel/pied/dilute or anything but just basics.....

I feel confused LOL......

NOTE: I am not breeding..but just it's something I think is good to know...Especially for when a person is purchasing a parrotlet. I know a lot of people who are breeding greens to greens. Blue to blues...American Yellows to American Yellows....etc...If this is a wrong process, that eliminates out a lot of breeders I once considered "good"...
Grumpy - DOB - 09/14/2011

Last edited by sugar.skulls; 02-21-2012 at 12:10 AM.
sugar.skulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
kimijean

Parrotlets Owned: 5+

kimijean is on a distinguished road

Green is the normal wild color so you can breed them to each other. Blue to blue is a no no, as well as yellow to yellow, etc.... I think even yellow to blue would not be good. The best way to breed is a green split to another color and a visual of that other color, i.e.: a green split to blue to a blue. Once you get into pieds and so on it gets more complicated. If I'm not mistaken both parents need to be pied to get pied babies, but I could be wrong.

Kim
kimijean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
sugar.skulls

Ah...complicated...But as I dug deeper, I've found that basically anything other then "green" is considered a "color mutation". Which makes sense. I just never really thought about it. I know green is their "wild/natural" color, but I just figured I guess to keep specific colors you should breed a blue to a blue. Or whatever, right. In my head it made sense. But I've seen a few people around here selling breeding pairs that are for example both American Yellows. That would be bad to my understanding...
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
lmcrumley

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

lmcrumley is on a distinguished road

I thought it was bad to breed a receding mutation to another receding (witch I am still unsure how you can tell when your have a receding mutation in the genes). I have been told it was ok to breed like a yellow to a yellow but not blue to blue. I also thought it would be ok to breed like a blue to a yellow for example and mix and match mutations as long as they have strong genes and healthy babies. I'm still learning about mutations and what is good to breed in colors.
lmcrumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
kimijean

Parrotlets Owned: 5+

kimijean is on a distinguished road

A serious, die hard, old school, breeder would not even breed yellow to yellow. I could be wrong, but I think if you breed yellow to yellow, unless both parents are split to the same color (like blue) you would only get yellow babies. I don’t think you would even get green.

When pairing my linnies I chose birds that would give me a good variety of colored babies. I’m now thinking about breeding p’lets (thanks Leah!! Lol). I’m thinking about getting a little dilute blue girl. Dilute blue is a combination mutation of yellow and blue. So her best mate would be a green double split to yellow and blue.

An even better pair is 2 greens that are split to the same color(s). You would likely get more greens than anything but the babies would be strong and healthy.

Kim
kimijean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
lmcrumley

it's a lot of work and fun breeding p'lets. and your welcome Kimijean lol. The one thing though about breeding is that the genetics hurt my brain some times lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Rio

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Rio is on a distinguished road

Yikes! I have two yellow (male and female) that I thought would be a good pair. In these postings I am learning that is not a good thing. What now? Anyone think I may be okay breeding my pair?
Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Bird Lady

Bird Lady will become famous soon enough

Ummmm.....Not the way I understand it, but I don't understand genetics either.....
Bird Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
lmcrumley

I was talking to this person to get a more better understanding on genetics and color mutations and he seem to know quite a bit. here is his web sight http://www.parrotletbirds.com/
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
sugar.skulls

Rio, I found 4 sites last night that suggested away from breeding specifically an american yellow to a yellow. Just for the simple fact some birds you can breed color to color without issues. But they've been bred in captivity for several hundreds - thousands of generations. Whereas the parrotlets haven't and I guess causes more of a inbred parrotlet?

I'm not a breeder but that was a major example of what not to breed together. Most of the sites recommended to breed back to a "wild" parrotlet. But to my knowledge you cannot get "wild caught" parrotlets anymore. So unless they just mean a pure line without any underlining colors in it?

Maybe a breeder could confirm.

Needless to say, Most of the sites seemed to recommend to breed back to a bird with green. To keep more pure lines? I'm not sure when you start getting into the pieds etc.

I know any bird with red eyes should not be bred to another red eyed bird. But that goes with reptiles as well....