Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

How to stop his biting

This thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2734 times.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
trueblue

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

trueblue is on a distinguished road

How to stop his biting

Wolf is making me crazy with his biting. He isn't being malicious or lunging but rather just very deliberately reaching over and pinching me in the hand, arm or neck. I think he finds it funny making me yelp but it's getting out of control. I simply don't know how to correct this so any input would be welcomed. Funny because he wasn't a big biter as a baby but is going through this horrible phase now. He bites so much that he now says "don't bite me" and "jerk" because that's what I say to him as he bites.

trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
trueblue

Just saw a post by rookieblue saying these guys thrive on drama and big scenes so Wolf is getting the exact reaction he wants. I try to ignore but he bites repeatedly and it hurts! Should I put him away when he bites to show him I will not hang out with him when he's biting.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
kbets

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

kbets is on a distinguished road

Shove a tissue or a paper toy in his face to try to divert the biting/shredding tendencies.

When Rex gets like this I'll tie a knot in a tissue and let him have at it until he gets the dinosaur out of his system. Slightly tuckered out, fluffy bid wanting snuggles usually follows.
kbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Evelyn will become famous soon enoughEvelyn will become famous soon enough

Yes, that is what I do with Zack, I tell him , "NO bite" and put him in his cage, for a about 5 min, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, but I still do it. I try not to yell or show any expression when he bites, not easy sometimes, I know. Good luck, I don't know if it is hormones, or a phase. Zack will be a year old in Sept and he just started this, about a month ago.

Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
buttersbaby

buttersbaby is on a distinguished road

If you make noises or have a response, then he knows he's getting to you. Its almost like they're training us in that sense because they know that if they do a particular action (a nip) they get a response (ouch!). When my baby nips, I puff in her face and say "no" (if she isnt perched on my finger when she nips, I place her on my hand and do the puff-no). She gives a little chirp of disapproval then stops. It has to be a firm puff - you dont want to blow him over, but you need to give an "I'm the boss" puff.

Evelyn has a good tip too. A time out can do the trick. But this depends on your birdy's personality. Some will not like being sent to their rooms, other will go "meh, whatever". So what you can do is have a little time out cage. Its a little cage, no toys no nothing in it, that you put in a room thats not high traffic and you put the little guy in there for a 5 minute time out. It's like sending a little kid for time out in a corner - if there's nothing there for them to play with or to distract them then they will have to sit there and think about why they're in that position.

Hope that helps and good luck!
buttersbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
b_c

b_c is on a distinguished road

I think you should limit his access to your hand/neck/arm. Every time he bites, remove him from your neck, etc. Then if tries to climb/fly back to you, remove him again.
He will then learn to associated biting with no time on you.
Of course this only works if he likes to be on you!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
RookieBlue

RookieBlue is on a distinguished road

I agree with everyone here. Since he's going through his biting phase, you're going to want to try and have a shredder toy handy at all times. When he begins biting, do your absolute best to ignore it, and if you absolutely must say something - try and train yourself to say "No!" calm & firm, then use the toy to distract him.

If its within your capabilities, shake his "perch" slightly to throw him off balance, and remove him from the spot. Perhaps put him on a table or somewhere else. Pick him up again after, and teach him that it's unacceptable.

P.S don't use the cage for a punishment. It'll often completely backfire and turn the bird into more of a grouchy bird because s/he won't want to come out anymore, and they'll let you know through harsher biting, etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
ParrotletsRock

ParrotletsRock will become famous soon enough

When my birds bite me... ( p'let and gcc ) I make an ET ET sound at them... like an angry budgie makes at each other.... they seem to understand that means NO NO ... With my conure I also lightly tap his beak or the top of his head with my finger... not as a punishment, but as a detraction... he usually looks at me as if to say ... ok I will stop biting if you will stop poking...lol It is just a very light touch and in no way distressing to him.
ParrotletsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
shanna81

shanna81 is on a distinguished road

Im going through this with Lucy. I almost think shes preening me. LOL Ive discovered tonight that she is fastinated by my moles. I have those and freckles on my neck and shoulders. Shes literally trying to yank them off!
shanna81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
trueblue

Wolf tries to pull off freckles too! We are going to try the distraction techniques and hopefully they will work.