Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Moving Parrotlet from One Room to Another?

861 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  applebear 
#1 ·
So I am trying to stop my parrotlet's recent biting problems. I heard that a good way of doing that is to step-up but right now anytime my hand gets near her cage she starts to get into biting position. How should I deal with this and get her to an unfamiliar room (I was told that it was good to teach her in a different room because she'll less likely bite)

#4 ·
Unfortunately, I'm going to say something you may not like but if she knows the step up command use and suck it up with the bite. Do not say ouch or yell because it will encourage it. Once out of the cage she probably won't bite or this you will like open the cage door and lure her out with a treat or wait till she decides she may want to come out and that way you won't get bit but the longer you let her get away with it she will probably not ever come out. Or try step up using a perch. Some birds will step up onto a perch from inside the cage. Good luck.

#5 ·
I agree with this. Mine is pretty good about allowing me to reach in cage, but she has been testing me here and there. Now with mine, she is very confident and not flighty at all, I simply hold my hand in place and give step up. 99.9% of the time, her attack is a bluff and she tones it back the moment she sees I am not going to budge and/or her bite isn't getting the effect she hoped. Now if I would move my hand away instead at this moment, then she comes in full force thinking she is achieving her chase off. I take that power away, and in turn, she just steps up and we come out of the cage for a little millet and find out there are rewards for just being a good girl.

By all means, you shouldn't just sit there and let them chow into you if that's the case...but if it's a case like mine, it's just a matter of taking a few and showing no reaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.