Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Harness troubles

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Pateetchka 
#1 ·
So for a while now I have been trying to train my parrotlet to wear a harness (this one http://www.circleofloveceremonies.com/Pages/ParrotletHarness.aspx ) and she hates it, she doesnt like putting her head through it, she will to take a treat im offering her but she yanks her head right out. I also find that it takes a minute for me to get it off and she wants it off when she wants it off so she starts to panic and try to get it off of her head. So I'm thinking of buying a different harness, maybe an aviator or a feather tether, what would work best, im trying to find something that has a bigger neck area so she is more comfortable with it.
If buying a different harness doesn't work then I might try a flight suit and im not sure what to do if that doesn't work.
Also how can I get her to keep her head in the neck whole, she just wants to take the treat and go, shes a very picky bird as well so she really only likes seeds as treats.
Thanks so much!

#3 ·
Hi, welcome to the Forum! I think we have at least one member who is working with a harness training, so hopefully she has some tips.
I have not tried with any of my Birds, although I think it would be fun. Maybe I'm pessimistic but I don't think they would like it much based on their personalities.

I can say that I have one very particular parrotlet named Melody, and if she decided not to like something all the training in the world would not change her mind. It may be that your little one has just decided it's not for her. There are some pretty cool carriers and backpacks if that be the case as an alternative.

#4 ·
:):DWelcome to this forum. We love all who join us! As far as the harness is concerned, you may just have a very determined p'lett on your hands! I have found out that if my 8 year old parrotlet Bogie does not want to do something---he won't!

We think that since our p'letts are small, we could teach them just about anything. Wrong! They own us lock, stock, and barrel. And... they know it!

Send some pictures and tell us about your little one. We love pics on this forum!

Thanks!:cool:

#5 ·
Patience is key. Don't force the matter and just keep trying with her getting used to it. Let her play with it a bit and become more comfortable around it. See if you can prop it up in a way that lets her eat treats by sticking her head through a little, but not far enough to get caught in it. I'm waiting on my aviator to arrive, I'll let you know what I think of it and how the training goes with my little dude. It can take months for you to successfully harness a bird, so just give it time. :)

#6 ·
I also have a mini-wings harness for my p'let, and a little hoodie as well, just for fun. With both of them, I've got to the stage where I can get them over her head without a fuss, but as soon as she realises that she has something wrapped around her, she'll start to wriggle. I'm confident that, with time, she'll be learn that there's no reason to fret. I appreciate that it's a very unnatural sensation for a bird, so I'm going at her pace. After all, if it's not an enjoyable experience for her, there's not much point in it.

Before I even introduced Olive to the harness, I got her used to being touched and held in the ways that would be required for putting on the harness. That included putting my hand around her back, lifting up her wings, and touching my finger to her chest. Again, these are quite unnatural things for a bird, so if your parrotlet is a bit nervous, it might be worth a try. :)

#7 ·
I'm curious about something. When your bird is on the harness, and they try to fly, what happens when they reach the end? Do they just kind of hold back, or is it awkward and abrupt? Do they just learn not to fly off?

#13 ·
It's getting warm outside and i would love to take Bernie out for walks on my shoulder instead of inside a travel cage...(plus i like having the option of him being about to take him in and out of the travel cage on a harness)
I've seen so many different reviews on the aviator, mini wings and flight suit..mini wings looks the best in terms of sizing, but what about long term use? Has anyone's parrotlet chewed enough that they've almost broken free or wriggled out?

#14 ·
We have both a petite flightsuit and a Leather4Feathers leather harness. Tihota is a little too skinny for either of them to fit perfectly, but he isn't able to fall or wiggle out of either of them and if Bernie is more of an "average" parrotlet girthwise you should be fine.

I personally prefer the look and construction of the leather harness and Tihota minds wearing it less (lighter, less bulky), but I really like the diaper aspect of the flightsuit! With whatever you choose, it's important to acclimate the bird to the harness before even trying it on him and then once it's on, you need to train him not to chew it. They're determined little gnawers and I bet they could chew through anything given enough time and opportunity, so it's best to not allow it at all!

#16 ·
Before I buy a harness I've decided to make him a fake one first just to make sure he's extra used to it and slightly showing promise before I spend the money. I've chosen all the bird-safe materials and jump rings etc. My problem is that all he wants to do is chew the tar out of the jump ring. He hasn't worn it, just been presented it and he is OBSESSED with chewing on the jump rings. I know the metal I chose is bird safe but chewing on metal certainly can't be the best for him right? Does anyone else have this problem? Apparently only 3 of us (including myself) in this forum are trying to harness train right now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.