Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Breeder idea needed

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lily2388 
#1 ·
My parrotlets are going into their nest box like the whole day except like the morning afternoon time frame they come out... What's going on are they going to lay soon or what?

#2 ·
My pairs usually go in and out for a few days before laying, to fix the nest and bedding to their liking.

The best way to determine if egg laying is imminent, just look to see if the female looks heavy and rounded in the rump area. They also get much heavier....so if you weight her regularly, you will see a large weight gain. My girls usually go from 32-33 grams up into the 35-40 gram range. Nieve once weighed in at 42 grams!

#4 ·

The female does not look heavy and she does not seem pregnant.... So I'm pretty sure she is not... But any picture of what the preg.. Poop looks like .. I already know it's supported be large.. And also the vent area to be swollen.. But can I have any pics to show comparison... Thanks

#5 ·
You really don't need pics. You absolutely can't miss the difference. LOL. If She is not pregnant I would remove the next box. How old are they? Are you sure they are ready for breeding?

#7 ·
Mine usually go in and fix the box to their liking, get comfortable for a few weeks and then they start laying the eggs. I think they want to feel sure they feel secure before laying eggs. My Kiwi never looks like she is laying an egg but I can tell by the size of her droppings. They are bigger than usual, you will tell the difference. =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.