Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Sudden Agressive Behavior

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  lindav 
#1 · (Edited)
We've had gonzo for about a year and a half and he is coming up on his 2nd birthday. Usually he is pretty well behaved, and we have him flighted. Then literally out of nowhere he has become really strangely aggressive. He still loves to come out of his cage, he steps up coming out of his cage, but once he is out he immediately flies onto the carpet and will not step up. He charges, screams, bites, and will try and burrow in-between our legs if we get down to his level. He will absolutely not step up no matter how patient, kind, and loving we are, not even for treats. Frankly not only is it dangerous for him to be down there, we walk on the carpet so it's not the cleanest of places for him to be. We have absolutely no idea what is causing him to do it, but we don't really take him out now because he doesn't seem to want to be with us. He just runs around angrily yelling on the carpet. The only solution is to scare him with this mini skate board we bought as a toy, but he hates. If I get it close enough he will fly onto his cage but then he will not come off his cage for the life of him. A month ago he would willingly step up onto us from the cage all the time. Now I have to trap him with the arms of my robe, and trick him into his cage and quickly close the door before he flies back out. I do not like picking him up like that because it clearly upsets him, but it just became my last resort. We are sort of at our wits ends, and hoping it's a stage he's going through. We have made no changes to the way our living room looks, so I don't think anything is setting him off. We have talked a little about clipping him, but I just don't think I can do it....I will cry. I wish he wasn't such a little ahole because I love him so much.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like the terrible twos. They can become little beasts, but I don't have to tell you that.;) The aggression will pass. It is just a phase that many of them go through at that age.
My Timmy is flighted and I prefer it because flying is so healthy but if it meant his safety I would clip him in a heartbeat. Remember, if you clip Gonzo it won't harm him and his wings will grow back. It just may be what is needed for an attitude adjustment while he's in this aggressive phase. His wing feathers will grow back in then you can go from there.

#4 ·
I agree with Barbara. Try a small clip first and see if helps or go for a bigger clip if not. His safety is utmost and his attitude will change tremendously. I had to clip Baby 2x and then never again. Second time around she got it. So Far Oliver has been flighted but he is heading for 2 years old and hormone territory so we shall see.

#5 ·
Jules went through a fly to floor and attack phase. We figured out for her it was best to just walk away and leave her for a few minutes. Since she hates to be away from us it seemed to have sorted it out after a few times.

#8 ·
If something like this were to happen with Sky as she approaches two in the spring, as much as it would pain me, she would get clipped until she got through it and remembered how to relate and interact well.

Of course, I'm going through a real nippy period with my conure, Izy, so I'd really appreciate it if my beloved parrotlet did not go wacko on me right now.

Good luck!
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.