Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

What's Next?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mjarkova 
#1 ·
I recently taught my baby a first few trick, which brought me a lot of happiness, because it confirmed that I can communicate with her and that she understands me. Hurrah!

Lilly learned to do the turn around and somersault around a branch and she does them consistently in different locations on command (my little smartie :p:D). My question is what's the next natural progression. I've been trying to teach her to bring me a button, but she gets too excited and distracted by the button, so it hasn't been going anywhere.

BTW, one thing I'd like to say is that it's astonishing how quickly they learn given the right treat.

Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Try with something smaller so she understands command>action>reward

I always start with target training (teaching them to touch beaks with an object such as a pen) on command to help with any new items or toys and also to cement the concept that action=food

Another really easy one is flight recall! Start with a sort of 'step up' and continue to move your hand farther until she jumps, them has to fly to get her treat on command. It's a priceless thing to do in case she ends up getting into trouble lol

After you do some basics you should try with the button again! Let her get used to it being around so it's less of a new exciting thing so she can fully focus on training.

Good luck with your baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.