Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Show me your Parrotlet's Play Areas!

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  wishingbee 
#1 ·
So I'm looking for inspiration to spend my money this weekend. The cage is on its way, we're furiously researching various breeders, and we're almost done bird proofing the main rooms that will be terrorized.

But we haven't set up a play area yet! So I need inspiration- Show me your play stands, your play perches, your DIY jungle gyms! I want to see them all!

I know you guys must have amazing ones, as your cages are all drop dead gorgeous!

#2 ·
My 3 P'lets have their own room, and they each have their own HQ flight cage. Here's some pics of the playstands and landing areas. I've got it set up with "bridges" between each playstand and a cage top so they can climb from one place to the other if their wings are clipped and they can't fly. They love to explore these areas!

This one hangs from the ceiling and has a "suspension" bridge (made out of dollar store plastic bracelets) attaching it to Kermit's cage.

Here's the climbing net I made for them -- cost about $2.00! One of their favs!

This play area started out as a baker's rack I've had for over 35 years. I had one acrylic playstand and a friend gave me another one, so I kind of combined it with the baker's rack and added some toys and stuff. They have 3 levels to explore, plus the wooden rope thing hanging from the ceiling. They can climb from the playstand to a cage on either side via more bridges.

This is just a little playstand that sets on top of 2 of the cages. It's a real favorite of Angelina's!

At the bottom of the picture, you'll see another one of my acrylic playstands. This was given to me by the friend who asked me to adopt Angelina -- she gave me all her toys, playstands, cages, etc. too! The huge Booda spiral perch is attached to the ceiling. It's really made for a big bird, but my little ones just love running up and down on it!

This is a wooden playstand I bought off eBay. The thing with all the perches on it is attached to the ceiling -- got it at a bird fair. They run up and down it real fast.

That's our setup! Hope this gives you some ideas!

#4 ·
Oh my goodness, Jodeg!! When I pass on, I want to be reincarnated as a bird at your house! Wow!

And when I get my bird, I'm totally not letting him (or her) see this post. S/he'll probably fall over with jealousy! So many great ideas in one room... Thank you so much for sharing these!

I especially love the idea of connecting everything, and that net looks awesome! Even I would want to climb on it!

#7 ·
Ha! ha! Thanks, everyone! A friend of mine called it "Disneyland for P'lets". I guess I got carried away and spoiled them, but gee, it's hard not to!!

Honeybird: Ha! ha! No, there's no tutorial! I just tried several ways of knotting the rope, but it's slippery, so the knots wouldn't hold. I ended up using little cable ties (zip ties) at each intersection of the rope and that worked great! My husband fashioned the wood strip to attach to the ceiling and hung it for me with strong hooks into studs.

I made the climbing net out of Poly (polypropylene) Rope, 1/4" thick. I got 50 feet in a package for just a few dollars at a chain store called "Harbor Freight" (I'm sure it's available at other places). I just cut real long lengths of the rope, layed it out on the floor and fooled around with it until I had something I thoght would work. When I originally posted pictures of this net, there were questions about the safety of the rope, but with several members help and the Internet, we were able to figure out this type was not harmful to them. (There's a different kind of "poly" rope that can be harmful.)

They actually don't chew on it much at all, they just climb all over it, even chasing each other sometimes! I originally thought the squares might be too big for them to get around, but they don't have any problems with it at all.

"Real" climbing nets you can buy online cost $35 and up! I'm a tightwad, so that motivated me to make my own. It turned out to be really easy! Give it a try and let me knowif you have any questions!

Wishingbee: Connecting everything together with bridges, ladders, perches, etc. has really worked out well for them. They all learned to use them really quickly too! It was fun to watch them figure out how to use each "bridge"! Pretty smart!

#9 ·
oooh it's great! Looks like they're all having a great time! So far I have just been putting a little ladder across the trash can (little) but a bird show is coming to town soon and I'm planning on getting them play gyms, lots of toys, and a bigger cage from there! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.