Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Traveling with a Parrotlet?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sara! 
#1 ·
So my boyfriend and I are going to be driving from NYC to Pennsylvania for my mom's birthday this upcoming saturday, and I was wondering how I should go about taking baby Phoebe along with us. We're going to be there for four days, so I would prefer to take her along. She's been with me for three weeks, almost four, and is quite tame and friendly.

My question is, should I keep her in her pet carrier up in front with us and occupy her with some toys, or should I leave her in her cage on the floor in the back of the car after removing any potentially dangerous toys? Where would she feel more comfortable?

Any advice would be appreciated, I want her to be the least bit stressed for this trip. :)

#3 ·
When I travel with my birds, I put their cage in the backseat (they have a smaller travel cage they live in when I go visit my parents) and they ride in small carriers up front with me, where I can monitor them. I cover most of their carrier to keep the sun off of them, but leave the front open, as they like to look out.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input!

I went and bought a small travel cage today... the bottom half and sides are opaque plastic and the top is wire, so she can see out of it. She's chilling in it right now, eating some millet. :)
I'll carry her home cage in the back since I'm on too much of a budget at the moment to invest in a larger travel cage, but I'll look into that later, it seems like a great idea.

#5 ·
When Jeesse and i travel I put him in a smaller cage with toys, perch. food and water. I like those woven perchs so he can hang on good. Put a towel over the seat and use the seat belt to secure the cage. He loves to travel and yaps the whole trip.
He also like to sit in the sun. I have tried shading an area for him but he likes the sunshine better. Have fun and a good trip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.