Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Snuggle huts: good or bad?

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  unpoquito 
#1 ·
I got Pippin a snuggle hut for her cage pretty much because it was cute and I thought she'd like it. Then I heard someone say that they weren't good for birds. Something to do with females getting egg bound I think. Aside from that, Pip just ends up destroying it little by little.
What are your views on this product?

#2 ·
If Pip is destroying it, I would remove it. I have read too many horror stories where birds have gotten strangled in the cords of their snuggle huts and died. I personally have chosen not to include any nest-like thing in my bird's cages, including snuggle huts. I don't want to risk increased aggression, or egg laying in my female

#3 ·
I agree with skhurley -
The breeder I got Boy from told me that one of her clients lost two parrotlets - one digested threads from a snuggle hut and the other got entangled in a long thread and strangled. These snuggle huts were made from faux lamb looking stuff -

You may want to try a snuggle ring. My older female parrotlet loves her snuggle ring and I've read other postings that the snuggle ring is a fav among parrotlets.

#5 ·
Yea, I've had a snuggle hut in Edy's cage for a few weeks now, she still refuses to go into it. She used to attack it violently like some of her toys, but she doesn't do that too often now. I still leave it in there in the hopes that she'll warm up to the idea of going into it, but for the moment, she actually sleeps on top of her snuggle ring, rather than in it.. very strange, lol.

#6 ·
I got the white snuggle rings from avianenrichment:
http://www.avianenrichment.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=104

Nipper, the older female, had a white one for years, which I replaced with a colorful one. She stressed out about it, so I bought her another white one - she sits on top - and if I don't cut the lights out when she wants to got to sleep, she gets in it. she loves that thing! My Boy has one, but he's happy with hanging on one of his boingers at night.

Someone recently posted a really cute picture of their parrotlet sitting in the middle of a colored snuggle ring- I think it was made of felt - ...

#8 ·
It looks like fleece to me. Darcy has a little fleece snuggle that I made for him. He sleeps in it and also hides in it. Maybe I should get him a snuggle rine intstead.

#11 ·
Yes, they're called "Birdie Binkies"! Kiwi LOVES hers, but Kermit doesn't go near his! I keep it in his cage, just in case he changes him mind some day!

Here's a pic of Kiwi in her Birdie Binkie - she blends with the colors a bit, but she's there, in the center, giving me "the look"!

#12 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll take it out of her cage tomorrow morning. Sounds like it is not worth the risk. And I'll see if I can find a snuggle ring instead.

#15 ·
I bought one of those perch tents when I first got Kiwi. I thought it would be better than the hut type, because it wouldn't encourage nesting and any poop would just drop out the bottom, since it was open.

Unfortunately, the perch isn't fixed -- it rotates! The perch is attached to the flexible fleece sides. Poor little Kiwi jumped on the perch immediately, the perch moved and rotated and down she went! :eek: I tired working on the perch to keep it from moving, but no luck. Plus she wouldn't go near it after that! I ended up throwing it out!

#17 ·
It's kind of hard to describe, but when she stood on it, it didn't stay fixed. It moved downward and made her fall off. There was a kind of eyelet in the fleece and the perch was mounted to that. The fleece is so pliable and flexible that when her weight was on the perch, it just flexed the material and the perch would turn, material and all. I'm not sure I can explain it right, but if you see one in a store, rotate the little perch between your fingers and you'll see how it twists the material.

It seemed like such a good idea for her, but not so much!

#19 ·
Forgive my confusion here, but in saying "Snuggle Hut," are we talking of a different product than the "Happy Hut," or merely of the general hut/tent idea....? One person made mention of the Happy Hut, and how it's not being used, but I was hoping I might save a return-trip to the pet store.
Laura

#21 ·
I think it really depends on the bird. I used to have happy huts in my parrotlets' cage, but took them out when they became territorial of their cage. I also found my sun conure trying to shred hers, which of course could be dangerous. I now have several of the huts hanging in their play area in the bird room. I hide nuts and treats in them, so they are really used for foraging and play only now. All of my birds have a fleece birdy binky and some fleece mop toys to snuggle up to at night. They love their binkies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.