Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Male or female?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  myolive 
#1 ·
Lately I've been trying to decide if I should get a male or female parrotlet. Anytime I've read anything about smart and talkative birds they've always been male. Is there really a noticeable difference in intelligence between males and females? If not there may be an option for me to get a female one, otherwise i might have to wait to get a male from another breeder that is currently out.

#3 ·
The Females are just as smart, maybe even smarter. I love it when Zack talks, but there is something about Cara's and Noel's sweet chirps that melts your heart. I love both, and can't tell you which one to get. I got my girl first, only because she needed a home and was a rescue. The boys usually talk, not all the time, some won't so you won't know until you get a male. I like the males markings better. Other wise everything else is about the same with them.

#6 ·
Definitely recommend visiting and see which little one takes to you. True my boys were the talkers but the girls have great personalities and every one of them was fearless.

In my birds other than the parrotlets, I have found that they each seemed to bond with a human of the opposite sex. (Except for a cockatiel that fell in love with my dog but that was just bizarre). With the parrotlets it seems either sex is fine for bonding so then just a case of picking the right individual for you. Best of luck!

#8 ·
I love my Molly...she is a sweetie, and tons of fun. My all time favorite bird I ever had, however, was a little male pacific plet named Timber. He was amazing...incredibly sweet and loving, and adorable....so I love the boys too. :) Really cant go wrong either way...they both make great little companions.

#9 ·
If it's important to you that the bird talks then I would say get a male. If it's important that you have a loving companion that either way. My girl is so excited when I take her cover off her cage in the morning. She runs to the door and chirps at me so sweetly but so urgently because she wants to spend as much time as she can with me before I go to work. At night when I get home it's the same except she chirps and tweets for at least a 1/2 hour non-stop with just little encouragement from me asking her about her day. She has so much to say to me!

#10 ·
Each bird has its own unique personality. Both males and females can be devoted and affectionate. When you meet the perfect bird for you, you will know. I've always found that it's best to let them choose you rather than the other way around. It makes the relationship easier from the start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.