Weeping Fig
White Cedar, China
Berry
Wisteria
Yews
Yellow Jasmine

ArtS
01-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Do you have a list of recomended wood types to use as perches (I prefer natural branch perches). I've used Norway maple, Larch, and sugar maple. I'm curious about pines and dawn redwood - both are available but I've held off as i'm not sure if they are safe.

Regards,

Art S.

BUUZBEE
01-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Do you have a list of recomended wood types to use as perches (I prefer natural branch perches). I've used Norway maple, Larch, and sugar maple. I'm curious about pines and dawn redwood - both are available but I've held off as i'm not sure if they are safe.

Regards,

Art S.

I sure do, i'll make a post!

ArtS
01-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks Anna!

By the way, which red maple is bad and why?

Regards,

Art S.

jen
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
How about Arizona Ash in SanAntonio,Tx.?
Anybody here feed meal worms to their birds? My vet said it would be ok. Once a week maybe. Fiji goes crazy over them. He loves to chase the worm down. Looks like a chicken after a june bug. I have meal worms that I feed to my fish as a treat once a week. Sends them into a frenzy.

aclinsevourity
04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
there needs to be a list like this with a little picture next to each one... i am a plant fanatic but usually its "rescuing" dying plants from the grocery store or hardware stores and i have no idea what they are...

lovemyboys
05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I got a good book on indoor plants at my TJ Maxx. They give alot of information. So far i have an aloe subspecies which is ok for parrotlets and also eclectus. Also, a Pigmy Fig Palm (also known as phoenix palm) is okay for both of these parrot species.

chapala
05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Almost all palms are safe for parrots. An Areca palm is usually fairly inexpensive, and it makes a nice landing spot for them. Fine to chew on too.
Reta

lisa10
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I noticed parsley is on the list of toxic plants posted on 1-10-07?!
I think that is a mistake? anybody ?
I give my birds and bunnies parsley, I thought it was ok

Pado
05-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Here's an old post from Reta on Parsley:

http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showpost.php?p=18773&postcount=10

lisa10
05-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Pado,
thanks for the info!
Lisa

Pado
05-21-2008, 04:28 PM
You're welcome - But Reta deserves the thanks :p - I just recalled her mentioning something about parsley. She has lots and lots of great info posted throughout the site on Avian Diet. :)

lily
05-30-2008, 12:48 PM
I think some of these lists are generic; that the researcher did not study what species is made sick by what plant. For example, we all know that poison ivy leaves a rash if humans touch it (or, for some, just get close to it), and would certainly cause a bad reaction if they ate it. Yet poison ivy berries are one of the most valuable winter foods for the wild birds here in Ohio. Polkberries are also eaten by wild birds here, but are very poisonous to people.

As for parsley (and some other valuable nutritional herbs on the list), I have read many articles by respected parrot experts who use and recommend it and some other herbs on the list. Parsley does have some medicinal value for people, but it is the quantity and frequency that makes it a medicine. Allowing a bird to munch on parsley isn't going to poison him.

I prefer to work with lists that have the Latin names with the plants because of the confusion possible from going by the common names. Pigweed, for example, is a name for different plants in different parts of the country. I can think of three different plants that go by the name "myrtle."

That said, for goodness sake, please don't think the list is useless! Use is as a valuable guide, and triple check any food or chew item you want to give your bird!

MaggiesMom
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I have a jasmine plant so I'm glad that I read this! I will be sure to monitor the bird from the plant with my life. The list though lists almost every plant/ flower I can think of, is there a list of houseplants that are certain to be safe so that I don't have to live in a plantless house?

I am extra sensitive to this because a parakeet I had when I was much younger died from chewing on some ivy plants we had in the house, I was completely uninformed about it's toxicity.

lily
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Hmmmm, houseplants. The lady at the bird store says Boston fern is safe if birds chew on it. Most of the plants I keep indoors are not "houseplants," so it is hard to think of others... Palms ought to be safe. I have heard that parrots will peel the toxic part of Aloe vera off and eat the gelatinous part when they need it. Asparagus fern is safe for cats to chew, so it would be another to check. (Checkl first. These are just ideas--don't just take my word for it!)

lily
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
P.S. If you google and find out that these houseplants are okay for birds to chew, that doesn't necessairly mean you can buy them and let the birds play on them. Greenhouses use toxic chemicals to control insects! These can be sprayed onto the plant or fed to it. Ask questions and give any possible chemicals time to become harmless. Except for the palm, you can get these plants by asking a friend (who does not use chemicals on his or her houseplants) for divisions.

ladybug
04-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Are you sure sorghum is toxic, or is it just parrots. My outside birds and the four leggeds love it

Lore
04-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Can anyone tell me if Spider Plants (Chlorophytum comosum) are safe plants for parrotlets? I know they are safe for cats and dogs, but can cause nausea if they eat too much of it. Obviously dogs and cats are completely different animals from birds though :P

I own two spider plants, they have great air-purifying purposes and I love how they seem to 'climb down' from my cabinet when tiny spider plants grow out :)
But of course I wouldn't want to risk poisoning my pets if they accidentally end up there and eat some of it!

Mrs.JP3
04-16-2016, 02:10 PM
This is my go to list for safe/toxic plants and food. Spider Plant is under the safe Foliage section by the household name.
http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

Lore
04-16-2016, 02:41 PM
Great! Thanks a lot :)
I'll make sure to bookmark that page. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future!

Rubydoo252
04-16-2016, 05:02 PM
My cockatiel used to keep trimmed the spider plant that wouldn't die (seriously, the thing was like 20 years old and kept going - my mom eventually threw it away). She quite enjoyed it! Just be aware of what you feed the plant. :)