teflon vs non stick pans [Archive] - Talk Parrotlets Forums

: teflon vs non stick pans

iakaren
01-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Reading a lot about teflon Being bad for the birds if it is too hot and I do not know if teflon is the same as a non stick pan - is there a way to tell the difference? or should we get rid of all non stick types of pans just to be safe. If a non stick pan is used is it emitting toxic fumes no matter what the temperature is of the flame/burner? thanks!

Jinx n Noodle
01-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Teflon is in general non-stick pans, though I've seem some labelled now as non-stick but then I'll see it say that it's Teflon free. So read labels carefully. Generally, non-stick when heated to a certain level (usually lower than normal pans) starts emitting toxic fumes... we just don't detect it until it's really hot and emitting high amount of fumes, birds unfortunately are much more sensitive. But I've heard of people overheating regular pans (not non-stick) and have had their birds die too...

Bodie
01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't cook with any type of non stick. I use stainless steel or cast iron. Teflon is even bad for humans.

Wingin' It
01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
look up Polymer Fume Fever if you're curious.

IMO, the only safe cookware is a high grade of stainless steel. (I don't include cast iron 'cause it's just nasty/porus, grosses me out...lol)

iakaren
01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
thank you - I will get rid of all teflon stick free related pans this week - before we get our beloved bird - I appreciate your time and feedback!

Evelyn
01-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Some of the new non stick cookware has nonstick ceramic , it is not harmful, but you would have to read if it is ceramic or not, and their is also stoneware.

ButterBean
01-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Getting a new birdie is a good excuse to get new cookware!

Riley
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
I also read about the nostick pans and got rid of all mine. My husband bought me a set of the green pans (which are bird friendly). I love they way they cook your food and Riley has got along fine. They are made with glass i think is what the paper said on the instructions i got with the cook wear. I also know that Paula Dean has a McCaw i think it is and she uses her cook wear. I did look at her cook wear but was unsure so we got the green pan.

Good luck in finding what you need to cook with at the same time not to harm the birds.

Riley
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
wow i should have proof read...sorry lol

blymor
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I just don't cook with any coated pans (I use stainless steel) not going to take the chance.
Another thing, when it is time to auto-clean my oven I take my upstairs birds downstairs into my walk-out basement where my pairs live. I close the door to downstairs and have the kitchen window cracked open. Can be chilly for me depending on the time of year but better safe than sorry.

iakaren
01-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks again for the feedback - we are looking into replacing the few non stick pans that we have - most of our other are stainless but we use the non stick for certain things - it is not worth risking our future bird to fumes and it probably will be better for us too. I had not seen green pans but I will look into that. I need to look into convection ovens if three are any issues using those...